Building you own grooming chute?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Shorthorn Girl said:
has anyone built their own grooming chute? if yes what did you use and how did u do it? any pictures? how much did you spend on supplies? thank you

i do not plan on buying a chute. i also do not have the things i would need to weld one.  can i use steel pipes and thread them together, you know the kind you can turn into place like a skrew? would that work?

If I remember right you keep your calf at a farmers house? Does he have a squeeze chute? If so, you can start him out in a squeeze chute an til you get a grooming chute. I encourage you to clip clip clip. That is the only way you are going to learn to clip. I saw a chute in the classifieds a couple months ago and it sold for $300. It was a nice chute. If you do it as an Ag project sometimes your advisor might be able to get a discount on the metal and if you do it in 4-H see if the supplier would give you a discount for 4-H. Its worth a try.

firesweepranch

We clip at home, in a steel chute I made. We have shown for three years and never drug a chute with us. Only two of the shows we hit actually fit with glue, so it was never really a problem. However, my daughter got serious and took 6 head this year to the shows we fit at, and BEGGED me to get her an aluminum chute for next year. Yea, you can fit without one, but it is a challenge. With just one animal, can be done. When you have several, a chute makes a huge difference! I found a nice used one on steer planet that even came with the padded floor, and bought it. Now we have one for next year, and my daughter is very pleased  ;D

brenn

My first year of showing cattle I bought an aluminum chute from Sullivan's and I have never regretted it. Its the most useful thing ever! But last year I was on craigslist and  found what they called  a "Cattle Rack" for $40.00 and it turned out to be a steel blocking chute in great shape! So I bought it and use it to break my all of my calves... I would recommend you check out Craigslist.org

inthebarnagain

M Bar Girl said:
The best investment we ever made was buying an aluminum chute 10 years ago.  You will have it forever and you can load it yourself. (from a girl's point of view)  Our 10 year old daughter can roll it in where it is needed and she is a tiny little thing.  Shop around and see if you can find a used one.  They are out there.

AMEN!  One thing I would add to that though is don't put a partially broke calf in any grooming chute, especially an aluminum one, they can get torn up easily.  If you want to use the chute because they won't let you comb something or won't stand still then you need to go back to the basics and break the calf further.  Don't use a chute as a crutch.  I've fitted plenty of animals without one because they were well broke and stood regardless.

D

dogger

I have to agree 100% with M Bar girl.  Our best show investment has been an aluminum chute from Sullivan's.  It's so much easier to haul than the metal one.

AAOK

I had our Ag Dept build me two steel chutes; one in 1991 and the other in 1993.  They cost me $60 and $80 respectively.  Both were made from square tubing and angle iron, and certainly not too hard to build.  I sold them both last year for what I originally paid.  Not a bad investment.

Back in the mid to late 90s, Tulsa banned Grooming Chutes on the fairground due to space restrictions.  The people who never worked with their calves had terrible problems.  Those who took pride in their everyday grooming program had no problem what so ever fitting without a chute. 

OH Breeder

jackpotcattle said:
OH Breeder said:
kyfarmgirl10 said:
Not to step on any ones toes but I've shown at NAILE and American Royal and have never used a chute I understand that they are a nice convenience but I'm just saying you can fit cattle without them

. I have spent 6 hours clipping one calf and I will tell you right now they won't stand still on their own that long. 

I would say if you spent that long clipping on a calf you need to quit using scissors. If you have that much hair it is just easier to fix mistakes so start peeling some hair off. Just saying.

To the girl about the chute....talk with friends and other ppl that show cattle and see if you can borrow one or go together and buy one. There are normally people at a show who only show steers or heifers and have an open chute if you really need one. If you work on your calf standing in the stall at home and make sure he is trained you should be ok. Yes, if you get to taking more calves to a show, a chute is helpful, but for now I am sure there are other people that would be willing to help you out so you don't have to buy one.

No its called I am old with an unssteady hand. it takes me a little longer to do things. I would rather take my time and do it right than just "peel" one. once its gone its gone and you can't put it back.

MCC

Shorthorn Girl said:
has anyone built their own grooming chute? if yes what did you use and how did u do it? any pictures? how much did you spend on supplies? thank you

i do not plan on buying a chute. i also do not have the things i would need to weld one.  can i use steel pipes and thread them together, you know the kind you can turn into place like a skrew? would that work?

[/quoteHere I go again. I have set back telling myself not to reply to this thread BUT everytime Shorthorn Girl or beefmaster ask for advice and they get some GOOD advice they can't or won't use it. If you aren't going to buy one and don't have the material to build one how can anybody help you? I have built them and bought them, wouldn't go down the road without one and sure would not work calves at home without one. I get older and slower every day and I sure don't want one moving when I'm clipping a top or a neck or underneath one clipping a belly stomping on me. I don't mean to discourage you girls from posting but if you aren't going to use the suggestions people post why ask the question?

katie_k

MCC said:
Shorthorn Girl said:

[/quoteHere I go again. I have set back telling myself not to reply to this thread BUT everytime Shorthorn Girl or beefmaster ask for advice and they get some GOOD advice they can't or won't use it. If you aren't going to buy one and don't have the material to build one how can anybody help you? I have built them and bought them, wouldn't go down the road without one and sure would not work calves at home without one. I get older and slower every day and I sure don't want one moving when I'm clipping a top or a neck or underneath one clipping a belly stomping on me. I don't mean to discourage you girls from posting but if you aren't going to use the suggestions people post why ask the question?

Ru seriouse?! when did i ever say i wasnt going to take the advice and buy a chute?

showsteerdlux

Shorthorn Girl said:
MCC said:
Shorthorn Girl said:

Ru seriouse?! when did i ever say i wasnt going to take the advice and buy a chute?

I'll be the grammar police again. If you want to be taken seriously, PLEASE improve the grammar. It has gotten past ridiculous in all of your topics.

katie_k

ignoring all of you who have nothing to say about the post only to say about me.  What is the difference between a sullivans $545 Steel Blocking Chute and the $475 Steel Economy Chute?

FutureBreeder2013

Econo
with wheels & headtie • Dimensions 70"h X 33"w • A lighter weight, economy version of our great Cadillac Steel Chute. It is constructed of a smaller tubing, but has many of the same trademark features of our other chutes. Weights only 154 lbs. • Constructed of 1-1/2 square steel tubbing. • Round, spring loaded side bars go up and down or sideways. • Large wheels for easy movement. • Sullivan's exclusive Head Gate, simple one-handed operation • Handles in back make it easy to move. • New, single bar head-tie folds down when not in use.

Cadillac
Awesome design and toughness. Sullivan’s Cadillac Chutes offer features and durability that others simply can’t match. • Portable enough for shows, can be set up or taken down in minutes. • 2 inch square tubing, Solid Construction

I found this on the Sullivan site when I clicked on each product.

katie_k

yes i know that info thank you though. but i mean in preference, what is different about them when using them? is one better than the other?