Bull breeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

cebwtx

We have a pushing 10 month old bull. He has been trying to mount some of our cows which is not my concern. My concern is I have never noticed his penis come out of his sheath. There's no swelling or apparent injury or discomfort that I can tell. Is this a problem and if so what might it be? I've not made it a point to intently watch to make sure this is the case but have seen him mount a dozen times or so and either he retracts very quick or never extends to start. Any help is appreciated.

jagerbeef

I had a buddy that had a bull like this a couple of years ago never saw him extend himself.  So we brought our bulls to msu for their bse and come to find out that his bull had skin still attached to his penis.  The vet then cut the skin so that he could then extend himself, vet told him to not use him for 30 days after so that it could fully heal, if he had used him before that then blood could have mixed with sperm and sterilized it.  When he gets a little older have a bse exam done on him to find out for sure.
Hope this helps

CAB

It'll vary, but ck with your vet as far as asking him/her. There is some anatomy term for what you are describing, but I can't recall what it is right now.

CAB

Had a chance to do a little more asking and research on this subject. It is not all that uncommon for a young bull calf to not extend very far until they reach sexual maturity. They call it being tied back. If the problem persists you can take them to a vet or a vet teaching college and have them cut the tied back penis skin to free them up to extend. A week to two weeks healing time and they will be ready to try again. The problem has to do with the prepuce, ie. fore skin.

cebwtx

CAB thanks for the further look. As usual I jumped the gun and worried to soon. It seems that it was as the post stated and he was not quite ready. I noticed him this last week and not an issue. Just like me to jump the gun and worry unnecessarily. Thanks again for the help.

chambero

CAB - that skin/attachment you are talking about apparently can be a serious issue.  The only bull we ever took to get collected (a young bull) had it unbeknownst to us at that time.  REI had the Okie State doctors do the snipping.  Apparently its very common and you never know about it on pasture bulls.  But when that attachemnt is strong, it can cause real problems when they rip it loose on their own when they breed their first cow.