Bull Collection Places in Texas

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerraiser

For those of you that have had bulls collected in texas, what places would you recommend me looking at to get my herd bull collected?  What is average cost of this deal?  How long does it take to put up 250-500 straws?  Is this enough or should I get more?  Anything else I should know about the whole process?

I have a really nice bull and plan on using him for many years; but you never know when something might happen.  His first calf crop was this year and we did not have a single "throw away" calf out of 22 calves sired by him; and I liked his calves better than all of my a.i. calves.

Thanks for any information in advance!

DWcattle

Not sure where you're located but we use Great Plains out of Shamrock Texas.  They have been around a while and are very reputable.  Yellow Jacket has pretty much lived there for a while now as well as many other well known sires.

Here is a cost breakdown of how they charge.

collecting costs
$50 per jump for a marginal or better jump
$35 per jump for "no jump"

freezing costs
$2 per straw for the 1st 200 straws
$1.75 per straw (201-1000 straws)

Boarding costs
$9 per head per day

Storage Cost
$5 per month fee for up to 100 straws
5 cents per straw per month for storage on 101-500 straws

I know that they jump all bulls on Monday and Thursday of each week.  however many straws a bull can jump a week depends a whole lot on the bull.  The quality of his semen, some bulls produce a large quantity but he may not freeze well.  In referring to your question about "how many straws should be enough"?  I would say that if the bull were to "out of nowhere" die unexpectedly, How many would you be satisfied with having in your tank.  Some people would want 250, some may want 500, some may want 1000.  If you like the calves out of your herd bull better than your a.i. calves, you may want to freeze some semen for yourself and then save some to sell to customers in the future.  Just my opinion.

CAB

Champion Genetics @ 866-604-4044. They are great PPL to work with & Bob has forgotten more than most know about collecting semen.

horseshoe b

elgin breeding service  elgin texas. if the semen does not meet their specs. they won't freeze it no matter how much  YOU TRY TO PAY THEM OFF. they do great work

CAB

I have a really nice bull and plan on using him for many years; but you never know when something might happen.  His first calf crop was this year and we did not have a single "throw away" calf out of 22 calves sired by him; and I liked his calves better than all of my a.i. calves.

What is your bull's pedigree please?

steerraiser

Thanks for the responses.  I am located closer to College Station; anyone has ever used Ultimate Genetics or Sexing Technologies?

Another question, this bull gets very nervous when penned and singled out.  Will some of these places not want to mess with one that gets that nervous or are alot of bulls like this they have handled?

His pedigree is Irish Whiskey x Strictly Business (Whiskey Business) X Witch Doctor x Angus.  Should 3/4 Maine or so and 1/4 Angus or so

AStar

steerraiser said:
Thanks for the responses.  I am located closer to College Station; anyone has ever used Ultimate Genetics or Sexing Technologies?

Another question, this bull gets very nervous when penned and singled out.  Will some of these places not want to mess with one that gets that nervous or are alot of bulls like this they have handled?

Ultimate Genetics is called Camp Cooley Genetics now. They do a good job and they collect alot of Brahman influence cattle. Last time I was there some of the Brahman bulls got huffy just looking at them. They have good facilities and will take care of your bull.