Bull for Limousin

Help Support Steer Planet:

What would be a good cross for a purebreed red limi cow, that needs a clean front and spring of rib? I have been told to breed to high % Maine or purebred Angus then start breeding clubby to the offspring. Any suggestions appreciated.

mooch

One of the better heifers I saw bred that way was a Who made Who.She was a ground sow with 4 inches of hair dripping off
of her. Her mother was'nt much to look at but he sure clicked on her.

dimebag

Meadow Creek Farm said:
What would be a good cross for a purebreed red limi cow, that needs a clean front and spring of rib? I have been told to breed to high % Maine or purebred Angus then start breeding clubby to the offspring. Any suggestions appreciated.
Heatseeker !

chambero

I'd think use a purebred bull on her also - one of the real deep bodied maternal Maines if you want black.  Irish Whiskey, Gold Club, etc. if you aren't worried about PHA defect status.  If you are, I'm sure there are others.  Their offspring would let you go back with any any of the black or Charolais show steer bloodlines.

BCCC

mooch said:
One of the better heifers I saw bred that way was a Who made Who.She was a ground sow with 4 inches of hair dripping off
of her. Her mother was'nt much to look at but he sure clicked on her.
I hope thats the way it turns out with the limmi heifer that I have bred to WMW!!

Show Heifer

MeadowCreeK:  I might be going on a limb here, being that I raise limis and have been crossbreeding them for several years.

But, without know the bloodlines of your cow, I would suggest going TC Freedom, Juneau, or some OCC bulls. This would give you a fantastic cross to show as a limiflex and then breed clubbie to make great show animals, yet the heifers/cows will be feminine enough to calve and milk.

If you were looking for a terminal sire to make show steers the first go around, I have had great luck with Dr.Who, and Hannibal. Both will sire some height, so depending on your cow.....

What are the bloodlines and maybe I can be more specific.

And a final note, if you are building a herd, I would stay away from PHA and TH and any other defect out there....why start with a mess to breed around????

red

I have to agree w/ SH (scary!) on the OCC bulls. I've seen some pretty nice calves from those crossings.

Red

Beach Limousin

As a limi breeder, I have seen a lot of Rulon and Carousels Pure Power limflex over purebred limi's that have worked in some clubby situations.

Thanks for the ideas. This cow is a Rulon granddaughter, large square hip, deep,could use more spring of rib and moderation of frame. For terminal show steers what kind of cross would Hard Core or WMW make? On the Angus angle, I have used a lot of Juneau on my registered Angus and I think that would be a great maternal cross. Currently she is bred to Carousels Low Rider.

Dusty

I would say if you wanted females to breed for clubbies go with Who Made Who on your Limi's.  That seems to work pretty well.  The best cow in my dad's herd is an old show heifer that is Who x Limi(quarterback).  If you want some steers and market heifers I'd go with heat wave. 

afhm

From what I have seen, this workd the best: Lifeline, Heat Wave, ALi, and to go Limi-Flex any OCC/Duff bred bull will do a awesome job.

BIGTEX

I have some purebre Limousin and I have some bred to Golden Child, Naughty Pine and Monopoly.