Bull stud opinions just a big ol WOW

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Steaks

I highly highly recommend everyone who intends to AI any animals to look at their sire of choice in person or get the honest opinion from someone who has seen them in person.

was very struck by how much different the picture in a catalog is to the bull in front of you. very dissapointed in some bulls

i dont intend this post to be a bull bash and talk trash about the marketing of a bull

looked at a bull that i seen in a catalog (initially a favorite that i thought had potential) and was a HORRIBLY dissapointed

bulls i did like though were: Paddy Wagon, Stands Alone, The Gift, One and ONLY, Golden Child(above my excpectations), Indian Outlaw, Northern Ice, Center of Attention, Hollywood, smoke and mirrors

far more bulls that i was disspointed with

yuppiecowboy

I think we shot this horse quite some time ago. There have been numerous posts, including pictures, that you may find interesting should you choose to use the search feature.

Before you get in a hurry to cross the bull in question off your list, you may want to look into his progeny. Some butt ugly cattle have produced some incredible calves, and some majestic bulls would be best used as gomers.

SKF

Yuppiecowboy- So true about some butt ugly cattle producing some incrediable calves. I have a cow that is butt ugly would be embarassed for people to see her but she has the prettest calves every year. Her calves are always the first to sell.

OH Breeder

yuppiecowboy said:
I think we shot this horse quite some time ago. There have been numerous posts, including pictures, that you may find interesting should you choose to use the search feature.

Before you get in a hurry to cross the bull in question off your list, you may want to look into his progeny. Some butt ugly cattle have produced some incredible calves, and some majestic bulls would be best used as gomers.

;) Just look at Heat wave post that  debated his utility.

Hofstatter Farms

DakotaCow said:
The prettiest girls don't always make the best cookies!
I agree, one of our ugliest cows produces the best show calves year after year, and most of them aren't the prettiest to look at as cows, but they milk well and have a good calf every year. Same goes for bulls, sometimes what they look like in their working clothes isn't a real good representation of how nice the calves will be out of him, I have seen some real bad looking bulls throw some real nice looking calves.

Show Steaks

from person to picture my least favorite bull i would be suprised to stick around, i have been wron i just dont see him shootin any magic into a cow unless he is an absolute giant!!!!!
very true about ugly girls makin the pretty calves would have to agree with that, ive always thought of it as a sort of heterosis. seen alot of heat wave clones and they all looked different (genetically the same bull as the original so  breed away!)

if you want the absolute widest calf out of rookie bulls either the hangoveror  mississippi stud, he looked better in person than the picture IMO one thick SOB

NDC

How tall is one and only? Have heard he's on shorter side

CAB

NDC said:
How tall is one and only? Have heard he's on shorter side

He's not on the shorter side. He is the middle of the road for sure.

Show Steaks, did you happen to see a bull named Chase N-551? He's an F-1 South Devon X Angus from Nichols Farms. I thought that he was one of the most complete bulls @ Hawkeye last Sunday. Yardley's are using him some. He is a 7 year old bull that is heifer safe and makes great replacements according to Ross Havens @ Nichols Farms.

Cattledog

SKF said:
Yuppiecowboy- So true about some butt ugly cattle producing some incrediable calves. I have a cow that is butt ugly would be embarassed for people to see her but she has the prettest calves every year. Her calves are always the first to sell.

That being said, I still look for the pretty ones come sale time! ;)

Show Steaks

anyone who wants to know the bull NOT to use PM me.. one in paticualr i was digusted with that some may be suprised by