Bull Suggestions for FIRST TIME heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

txclubcalves

Hey everyone, it is about time for us to order semen, and I am yet to decide who to breed my first time heifers to. I would love some suggestions.

I have a shorthorn (double stuff x jake's proud jazz), who I would normally breed to Jake's Proud Jazz, but that is her sire. She is a TH carrier so needs to go to a TH free bull. I don't really mind if the bull is a shorthorn or not. Just something of good quality that should give her a safe birth.

Next is an angus x Duff copyright heifer. Any breed goes for her, but would prefer exotic. She is very round and clubby so I think even her first calf should have good potential if I breed her correctly.

Lastly is a traditional gert x duff copyright. Trashy exotic or clean American preferred.

All of these heifers are about 2 years old, but are small and are first timers, so I want to be careful with them.

kfacres

If you want to be 'careful' with them... You can't go wrong with most any black or red angus bull, just open a catalog and point at one...

You can't have your cake, and eat it too...  by which I mean, you can't shoot for a great one, but not have worries on the heifer. 

To get more specific, Northern Improvement is a popular choice for black, and Above and Beyond for reds...  But like I already said, there is TONS of options.. and every person who comments on this will state a different bull that worked for them... 

knabe

Cut the BS said:
every person who comments on this will state a different bull that worked for them... 

i guess they can't say the one's they didn't use worked for them.

kfacres

knabe said:
Cut the BS said:
every person who comments on this will state a different bull that worked for them... 

i guess they can't say the one's they didn't use worked for them.

actually I guess they could... by which, their friend, neighbor, or they heard through the grapevine.. that such and such was a solid choice for first calf heifers.. and that they themselves will be trying him in the near future...

knabe

Cut the BS said:
actually I guess they could... by which, their friend, neighbor, or they heard through the grapevine.. that such and such was a solid choice for first calf heifers.. and that they themselves will be trying him in the near future...

fail

Gargan

does any1 use Rito 6I6 on hfrs anymore? he used to be the go to black angus bull for any type of hfrs. I just dont hear anything about him anymore

aandtcattle

6I6 is no longer available.  He was born in 1996 and the last semen I heard of selling thru select sires was at least a year ago or more.  He sure left a beautiful set of daughters at my place and in hindsight, I should have used him on some mature cows too while semen was available.  If you want the total package angus bull, try Rockin Horse Tailor Made.  I have used him for 3 years on heifers and have never had to touch one.  There are lots of good options for that shorthorn heifer.  Cattle visions has Captain Obvious, RS 329 and just picked up a new bull by the name of A&T Rawhide 962- all 3 of these bulls would work, and not just on the shorty heifer but all 3 if you just want light birthweight, highly marketable calves.

Gargan

didnt realize 6I6 was no longer available. I have some units in my tank thankfully. thanks for the info

JoeBnTN

For an alternative I'd suggest you look at Hillside Leader (the bull in my profile).  He's been successfully used in both the US and Canada with great results.  His calves come easily and are very vigorous.  Most importantly, especially when compared to most of the calving ease bulls, the calves do GROW.  We've seen weaning weights in the 5-600 pound range fairly consistently and the cattle appear to have some  sustained growth -- we'll know more when the first bulls finish test in the spring.

For both Justintime and myself, the most pleasant surprise has been how well they've been received.  JiT sold his first Leader heifer calf earlier this fall for $3000 and she was out of a 22 month old heifer.  This female went on to stand second in class at the recent Canadian Western Agribtion.  You can see her photo on the photographer's web site She's the roan heifer on the bottom of page 61).

http://grantspix.smugmug.com/2011-Livestock-Shows/Canadian-Wester/20269954_NzT6bD#1602490561_MNXkBhw

We're starting to get a fair amount of interest in the bull and believe he may be the kind that can satisfy a wide range of Shorthorn and commercial breeders.

Let me  know if you'd like to give him a try.

ZNT

This fall was the first calf crop out of Montego Bay. Everyone had very good luck using him on first calf heifers. He will work well on medium to large frame heifers that can use some extra muscle, style, and hair.

Warrior10

This last spring we used the Red Angus bull Fat Tony on our heifers. Very impressive bull with some impressive calves.

jaimiediamond

We've had a large amount of success with Diamond Regal Legend 4R, and Diamond Prophecy 21P on our heifers.  I will add RS DV 034 329 08 which a bull we are going to try on a few.  Pictured is a Prophecy daughter out of a two year old heifer.

Attachments

• ygritte.jpg
    ygritte.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 347