Bull to flush to??

Help Support Steer Planet:

gates98

I have a 16 yr old Draft Pick X Angus cow to flush and need suggestions on the bull to use.  Have used Parker,  Dr Who,Sooner and Hotline on her with good overall results.  The calves need more frame more than anything else. She is a PHA carrier.  Am looking for steers as well as females.  Was thinking about Sunseeker or Hannibal.  Any advice would be great. thanks

BCCC

I would say Hannibal would work good if you have used sooner, and hotline on her with good results(all three bulls need to be used on females with plenty of rib)

vet tech

He would like to keep females also so i don't think HW or HW bloodlines would be to great, jus saying, im not in anyway being a jerk ;)

TMJ Show Cattle

Try hairy Bear on that cow.You will get a shot of lifeline[maine] and meyer 734[sim].If not that use an Angus bull for replacement heifers. I would suggest Beb Juneau,Jacee's Ramblin Fever,or even Northern Improvement.You could possibly get some real outstanding heifers out of the halfblood bull they call SOS.He mates up with everything and sires tremendous daughters.he is half SIMMY and half Angus.There will be some good suggestions I'm sure from others.If you want an honest opinion with 50 plus years experience,breed that cow for maternal strength and try and get some heifers to keep and then go for the gusto and raise some steers.Her lifespan is nearing the end. If she is really good I would use every bull mentioned on this post and get some future real world cows from her.

gates98

Thanks for all of your input.  I guess no sunseeker fans out there.  leaning toward Hannibal but am still open to any suggestions. could use sim. but not a fan of angus at all.  Also what is the disposition of Hannibal calves like.  Thanks for all of your input, keep it coming.

AAOK

gates98 said:
I have a 16 yr old Draft Pick X Angus cow to flush and need suggestions on the bull to use.  Have used Parker,  Dr Who,Sooner and Hotline on her with good overall results.  The calves need more frame more than anything else. She is a PHA carrier.  Am looking for steers as well as females.  Was thinking about Sunseeker or Hannibal.  Any advice would be great. thanks

For very functional females, as well as great show heifers, I would suggest first, FR Magic 179, with my second choice being DMCC Poleroid 29AET.  Both of these bulls will add frame, bone & hair, and are proven on those half-blood DraftPick daughters.

bart22

gates98 said:

I may be biased but my bull "Special Reserve" is working well. He's one of the best looking clean Whiskey son's available. If you are thinking of keeping females his daughters are the keeping kind. He's adding hair, bone , and body to his calves. First calves hit the ground in Feb. and they look very nice. He's clean, maternal, and calves are stout. I've attached a pic or you check him out on my website herndoncattle.com.

Attachments

• Special_Reserve_Herndon_2.jpg
    Special_Reserve_Herndon_2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 250

knabe

bart22 said:
I may be biased but my bull "Special Reserve" is working well. He's one of the best looking clean Whiskey son's available. If you are thinking of keeping females his daughters are the keeping kind. He's adding hair, bone , and body to his calves. First calves hit the ground in Feb. and they look very nice. He's clean, maternal, and calves are stout. I've attached a pic or you check him out on my website herndoncattle.com.

what about milk, udder shape, teat design, flex in pastern, stride length, female helper?

bart22

knabe said:
bart22 said:

what about milk, udder shape, teat design, flex in pastern, stride length, female helper?

If that question is directed towards Special Reserve, he will help improve all of the above mentioned criteria. He's as sound as you can make one in his pastern and hock with a long smooth stride. As for udder and teat size, his mother who was a popular Angus champ in OK has beautiful udder with plenty of milk.