Bull to use on Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

I have a Heat Have heifer that I am going to AI this spring. She is all black and I'm looking for a good Homo Black bull that is an easy caver. I have seen that Shiver is rated as an easy caver and is homo black. I have seen some of Shivers calves in sales this fall and I'm not over excited about his stock that I have seen, maybe was a bad bunch, don't know. I like Ali 2, he is an easy caver but is not homo black. I am also looking for a bull that is not a Heat Wave influenced bull as my heifer is out of Heat Wave. Rocky Balboa is rated as an easy caver also but is not homo black. Maybe I was just have to use an easy caver IE Ali 2 or Rocky Balboa and hope I get a black calf.  So if anyone knows of a bull that is an easy caver and homo black which is not out of a Heat Wave blood line, please let me know, any suggestions is appreciated.

ploughshare

I have seen Titan listed on your web site and the Jones Stewart web site, but no information on how to buy semen.  Where is it available?

WMW11

Northern Improvement or OCC Legend.    I would try for a live one first.  Some HW's need a little help the first time so I would  use a calving ease bull.

Bird Cattle

Titan is a calving ease WMW11 he is a son of rodman

MCF has seman
what is your heat wave's  bottom side

Bird Cattle

he is angus, he has had no calves as of yet. but all sign lead to him being very easy calving. take a look at his and his dam's birth wight and everyone knows how easy his sire is.

food for thought: if you feed a heifer like a steer up until the day she calves it it does not matter what you bred her to. the calf will be big

mutt

I agree with Mark Tenebaum about Body Builder. was just at DMCC farm Thursday to pick a heifer up and Mark showed us around. got to see fall, spring calves  and cows by Body Builder. Was very impressed with how small they are and what they turn into.

linnettejane

WMW11 said:
Northern Improvement or OCC Legend.     I would try for a live one first.   Some HW's need a little help the first time so I would  use a calving ease bull.

what they said!  (thumbsup)

Radio Ranch

Try Ego Trip.  He is an Ali x Collateral Damage.  We had 9 calves out of him this past spring all first calf heifers.  5 steers and 1 heifer sold for show projects, 2 heifers retained for replacements.  Our top seller was the heifer in our labor day sale and she was an Ego Trip out of a Sun Seeker Heifer. 

Mueller Show Cattle

Thanks to all of you guys for this informatiom, is much appreciated. My Heatwave heifer bottom side is just a main/angus cross cow that was AI'd to Heatwave. She is growing very quick and should be a bigger built heifer by spring as she is already 750 lbs and I don't do my AI until mid May which gives me a beginning of March calve date which is important with are cold weather here in Wyoming. Again I thank all of you for your information.

DL

You might want to have your HW heifer pelvic measured - many of the HW females have very small pelvic areas which suggests either 1) they will have difficulty calving, 2) she should be bred to a high accuracy calving ease bull, 3) they may not make decent cows. You can pelvic measure any time and there are formulas to adjust to 365 days - based on the area you can then make a rational decision - it is always a good idea to go for a live calf by using a high accuracy calving ease sire on heifers - esp HW heifers - a dead great hairy black calf is hard to market

WMW11

Thanks DL.  Exactly the point I was trying to make.    The heifer being a HeatWave changes everything in my opinion when breeding for first time, maybe even second time.