bull ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Barry Farms

Should be fine if youre not looking for show calves, they are ugly but if they work and theyre calves are small then grow, thats great

fourquarters

Barry Farms said:
Should be fine if youre not looking for show calves, they are ugly but if they work and theyre calves are small then grow, thats great
Ok.  Thank you.  Was looking for something for 1st calf heifers that we could sell without losing money when they are all bred.  Beginning to think maybe we should just AI them. 

Barry Farms

selling heifers bred angus can make them more valuable becase they are head ache free come time to calve, no big square calves.

fourquarters

Barry Farms said:
selling heifers bred angus can make them more valuable becase they are head ache free come time to calve, no big square calves.

Was thinking a registered bull at around 1500 wouldn't be too hard to resell after getting the heifers bred.  Just out of curiosity what's the picture on your avatar?  Love that one. 

obie105

I would ai. I dont like either one of those bulls. I know you said you were selling and a good ai bull will help to sell too. Those bulls arent really going to do much for you.

fourquarters

obie105 said:
I would ai. I dont like either one of those bulls. I know you said you were selling and a good ai bull will help to sell too. Those bulls arent really going to do much for you.

Yes, thank you.  I think you are right about the AI.  We have been breeding horses for years and have done lots of AI with them.  Thought maybe the cattle would be something a little less labor intensive on the breeding end of it.  Bought 7 heifers mainly  just to turn out on extra pasture we have.  Our next door neighbor offered to let us turn his bull out with them, he is a bald faced simangus and his calves are born small and the heifers bred to him have not had any trouble calving.  Problem is he must be heterozygous for black because the Hereford cows over at his place keep having red calves here and there.  We have 5 Herefords and want black baldies out of them if possible. 

obie105

AI with cattle is still slightly labor intensive but better than with horses. I know you don't need to have lights on them at this time of the year. lol  I would talk to somebody who is going to do your ai work and come up with a plan. There are several good angus bulls out there right now if that is the route you want to go. There are also some Simmental bulls out there that could work for you especially on the angus heifers. Take a look at the different semen companies and look at what they have to offer. A good AI tech will also know what will work on your females.

Latest posts