bulls to produce quiet cattle for club calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

CNS

Anyone know of bulls known to produce really quiet calves for young kids to show club calves.

I know from years back we had some quiet Alias calves.  Any suggestions?

forbes family farms

We had a very tame All About You calf a couple years back. And this calf took 3rd in the carcass class. He was one that would follow you around like a dog.

simtal

forbes family farms said:
We had a very tame All About You calf a couple years back. And this calf took 3rd in the carcass class. He was one that would follow you around like a dog.

AAY's have been about as wild as EXTs

OH Breeder

Some of our more calmer calves were sired by
Gizmo- out of a Direct Hit Cow. Mother was a puppy dog.
3C Macho- Out of a WMW Angus that was wild as a hair.
Sonny- out of a Rodeo Drive cow that was gentle giant.

I agree with AAOK- the mother and how you handle them from the get go is a big part of it. When they hit the ground we try to mess with them on regular basis. Before we ever get halter on many of them we are brushing and scratching to get them use to us. The younger that you start the better they are.

We had a Doctor Who out of a Crazy reciep once that I had to sell because he could never keep it together and was unsafe. Lots of folks say there Dr Whos' are gentle.  ???

forbes family farms

simtal said:
forbes family farms said:

AAY's have been about as wild as EXTs

Well i was just saying that mine was extremly tame, you could do anything you wanted with him, he was a very sweet calf. I also agree with AAOK it depends how they are handled right after there born and the mother plays a big role in the temperment.

Bulldaddy

Our WMW out of SimAngus have been exceptionally gentle.  All the Machos out of SimAngus cows have been gentle.  The cow side and the way you handle them is a big factor too.  We had an EXT sired steer that was very gentle a couple of years ago.

WIshowgirl

Carnac is my personal favorite. The calves we have had are very quiet and all the people we have talked to love their disposition.
Like everyone said a big factor is the cow and the way they react to people. Try and give the calves treats (such as apples or handfuls of grain).
Have Fun!! :)

colosteers

What we have used and found to have a  really nice attitude, that you would like to see a very young kid get to be around--  Kadabra, Sunseeker, Jakes Proud Jazz, and most shorthorns, and quite a few of the higher percentage Maines.

We dont really start them young and just kind of halter and go -- after they are weaned.  The calves sired by the bulls I mentioned above seem to be calm and like being handled.

Maybe I am getting old, but I am appreciating the calmer and unchallenging calves more than I used to.

Hope this helps and have a good one

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The Carnacs have been great for us ,an the son we raised Muddy Water has on what calves we have had are good ,,,on what Eye Candys we have used they look very good  disposition ...  Alias an Vanilla Ice seemed good ....Troubadors no problem so far .....

linnettejane

my jpj's and major leroys have been super dispositioned!  my little girl was 4 yrs old and dragging a leroy around by the halter....

Diamond

I have had great luck with temperment on my Dr. Whos and Ali's...bad with Eyes on the money...they all seemed to be nuts

justme

Gigolo Joe...his calves have been so nice to work with. 

I think the bull does have influence...how many of us had Full Flush calves that were nut cases?

SKF

justme said:
Gigolo Joe...his calves have been so nice to work with. 

I think the bull does have influence...how many of us had Full Flush calves that were nut cases?

I agree on Full Flush calves being nut cases and so have our Heatseekers and All About You's . Our Sunseekers have all been big puupy dogs.

Showcattle21

actually ive had tame eyes on the money calves but i start once they hit the ground i built a shelf over a wide stall that i sleep on and i wake up in the night and check so once they hit the ground im petting them combing and stuff like that i had a cow that calved at 2:25 in the morning i was up since then til the next night working with it

DTW

From what i have seen the monopolies have great dispositions even out of full flush cows.