burp/gas

Help Support Steer Planet:

kingus

Came in to feed the steer this morning.  Noticed as he was laying there that he seemed to be burping a little passed major gas and could hear his stomach gurgling.  Dumped feed and he started to get up but layed back down and started doing like a rocking motion.  Forward as to get up then rock back down almost like a swing action.  He did get up after a few times and arched his back hard.  He stomach looks fine.  No bloating signs at all and stools are tight.  Something I can give him to settle?  I give probias every other weekend but he's not due till Sunday.  Thanks for any tips

CAB

No everything that you have described is very normal behavior and sounds like your calf is feeling fine.

Gargan

CAB said:
  No everything that you have described is very normal behavior and sounds like your calf is feeling fine.
Agree! He is just full and lazy.  (thumbsup)

kingus

Thank you.  Hadn't seen that in the 3 months we've had him.  Another quick question.  We've switched feed brands and have him on a finisher now. We did it slowly and he's been on the new for about a month. He's just not as of aggressive as he was on the old feed. Same feed amount but he leaves 1-2lbs. The other feed would be gone in 15 mins.  Not using any supplements at this time.  Any advice on boosting his appetite for the new stuff.  Hate loosing that potential 60 lbs of intake.  Yes we are new at this, learning and appreciate your time and knowledge

kingus

If this is more of a breeding forum?  If so don't want to post unrelated things.  Looking for a educational question forum.  If so could someone guide me to a link or name of a site. Thanks again

CAB

You can either just cut him back the 1 or 2 pounds or take the feed pan away from him after 20 minutes. It makes sense that if you changed to a finisher, ( higher energy ), that your calf would back off a little because he is meeting his caloric intake requirements with less volume. 20 minutes is a pretty good old rule of thumb as to how long it should take a calf to eat an amount of feed that would be considered to be full feed. Good luck.

CAB

kingus said:
If this is more of a breeding forum?  If so don't want to post unrelated things.  Looking for a educational question forum.  If so could someone guide me to a link or name of a site. Thanks again

No you're fine right here and this is the best forum on Steer Planet to receive feedback.

kingus

Never thought about the caloric intake with the new feed. Never thought of it like that  Makes all the sense in the world.  Noted...Thank You