Buying Bred Females

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sparty-On

I am in the market for a good bred heifer or young cow.  When I am evaluating a sale offering, what are the main points I need to look at to tell me if she is going to work as a cow?  I am looking for a female to produce half-blood females, along with club calves down the road.  For the sake of this discussion, take her pedigree out.  I am just interested in what everyone looks for when purchasing females.  Thanks.

jbzdad

I think it helps a lot to look at the cow family...I think it really helps to have sale catalogues from several years.. you should be trying to buy better genetics than you already have so buying a heifer out of a consistent cow is probably a good idea...Then I think she should be maternal,powerful, clean fronted and big  (is growthy a decent term)enough to produce a calf that can weigh 1350 at 17 months... if she isn't donor material or at least certainly better than the calves you are selling then why are you buying her?

Cattledog

The first thing I look at when I buy a cow is the udder.  If their udder is garbage you'll end up hating her! 

The next thing I look at are their feet and legs.  I was taught to build them from the ground up.  Once I consider them sound I look for femininity and volume. In my experience, you can usually get along with this type of female.  They may need powered up a little bit but there are a bunch of bulls out there that can add a shot of muscle and can do it rather consistently.  IMO, structure is the hardest thing to change on an animal so I am really critical on that phenotypically.

kp1625

Cattledog said:
The first thing I look at when I buy a cow is the udder.  If their udder is garbage you'll end up hating her! 

I agree with this!  First thing to look for is a good udder.

Show Heifer

While you said not to pay attention to pedigree, I do not think that is possible. How do you buy a critter WITHOUT considering her pedigree? I am not saying WHAT to look for in the pedigree except for solid predictability for whatever you are looking for (clubbie winners, awesome females, hair, performance, etc).  I would also say to avoid carriers. Too many good ones to worry about defects carriers.
I would also look at the maternal side of the family tree... good longevity, weaning ratio's, etc are all indicators of a solid maternal line.
I do not like to see too many "donors" in a family line.... personally, that indicatates to me that they can not raise their own calf.  Also might indicate a lack of milk production. I look at NATURAL calves, not ET calves. I don't care how well a recep can raise a calf, I want to see how the actual cow can mother and milk.
Structure is of course important. They gotta be able to walk. But to what extent is YOUR call. I have seen many "cripples" (IMO) bring good money because they were hairy or out of "ABC" bull.
I like my heifers/cows to LOOK like a female, and not a steer that pee's out the back. When I look at the head I want to be able to tell she is a "she" and not an "it".
Disposition is HUGE. Walk into the herd. Look for wild looking eyes, and high heads. STAY away...  Don't fall for the "they will settle down"....  After you look at the heifers INSIST they show you the momma cows. Look at their dispositions in the pasture. If they don't have the momma cow, drive away (unless they have an untouchable excuse...) 
I will buy a heifer that doesn't have "that look" if the breeder (notice I didn't say trader) has the momma, and grandma.... if the family is good enough for them, they are surely good enough for me!

Happy hunting. Remember, if you feel pressure to buy, 9 times out of 10, don't do it. Trust your gut!

advocate

Showheifer when your out sorting in the real world pedigree is irrelevant I don't even look at it until after I've looked at the cattle but I don't like missing the good ones because of pedigree bias if you can do that more power to you but I like living animals not a piece of paper to tell me there good. And no donors are you kidding yeah let's keep the elite cattle out of our pedigrees. Since you are so concerned with pedigree this should be what to look for not condemn. Makes no sense

advocate

Oh and fyi most donors are donors because people want more progeny from that cow not because she sucks

jaimiediamond

When I am buying females I pick the girls I am interested and I go and search out what her dam has produced, and what her sire's dam has produced. If i am feeling highly ambitious I crawl around on ASA or CLRC (where Canadian shorthorns are registered) and look at all aspects of her pedigree and what each individual has done. I want a long term investment as I don't buy females often.  Contacting the breeder and getting pictures of the dam and sire (if they are too far to get to) also help with my decisions. Once I get to the sale barn I evaluate the females conformation and soundness, if she is a young cow her udder quality is at highest priority.  Pictured is Circle M Kit Kat 9K and Wolf Willow Julia Robin 3R.  These are two examples of what my selection process produces. (Julia has since been sold and is very popular with her new owner)

Attachments

• kitkat.jpg
    kitkat.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    275.1 KB · Views: 150