C-section

Help Support Steer Planet:

fleming64

We preformed a C-section at the local vet early this morning...I'm just wondering if people have had any luck breeding the cow back, is it worth a shot or not and if so are there any steps I should take to increase my chances of getting her to re-breed, Thanks in Advance

BroncoFan

You can rebreed.  The cow/heifer just needs to clean first and the uterus needs to retract down to the normal prepregnancy size.

fleming64

Oh Okay great thank you, I'm a little nervous but I guess we will see how it goes

jbzdad

I agree that threr is little downside to trying her again BUT I think our luck with getting them re-bred the first year is far less than the non c-section cows

probably 50% open versus 6-10%

shortybreeder

It can be done, but I wouldn't keep any females out of her because you are just asking for more problem cows later.

tamarack

shortybreeder said:
It can be done, but I wouldn't keep any females out of her because you are just asking for more problem cows later.
Depends  if the c-section was because the cow was too smaĺl or the bull was one that throws big blocky calves might need to change buĺl out instead of cow.