C-Section

Help Support Steer Planet:

[cowgirl_up_47

We had a cow that had to have a C-Section on Friday. It was a first calf heifer that wasn't supposed to be bred yet. The calf is a heifer, about 90 pounds.

The cow still isn't up yet, and doesn't have much  milk, so we're bottle feeding the calf.

Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• Injecting.JPG
    Injecting.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Cutting OPen2.JPG
    Cutting OPen2.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Feeling.JPG
    Feeling.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Cutting Uterus.jpg
    Cutting Uterus.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Feet Chained.JPG
    Feet Chained.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 184

[cowgirl_up_47

Here's more:

Attachments

• Calf- Born.jpg
    Calf- Born.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Calf- Hanging2.jpg
    Calf- Hanging2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 178
  • ATT00073.jpg
    ATT00073.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 171

kanshow

Pretty cool to get some pictures of it!!  I always wish I'd taken pictures after it's all over!!  Any reason they did her laying down?  My vet prefers to do them standing if at all possible.

[cowgirl_up_47

kanshow said:
Pretty cool to get some pictures of it!!  I always wish I'd taken pictures after it's all over!!  Any reason they did her laying down?  My vet prefers to do them standing if at all possible.

Yeah, I actually remembered the camera. It was the first one we've had done.

She was pretty exhausted and if they did it with her standing, she would have to stay standing.  So they just layed her on her side and tied her feet and head so she couldn't kick or fight.

yousesteers

NEver seen one done lying down always standing and then after sewed up turn them into a small clean pen we did have a video of one being doen a long time ago

farwest

Are they working on a human or a cow the way they are all dressed up and have the cloth over the cow.  Thats one i've never seen in these sandhills. 

bcosu

i had the opportunity to see triplets my first time seeing a c-section. quite an experience. caught everyone a little off guard if you can imagine.

Steer Boy 101

we had a vet last year who we called on a emergecy call come and it took half hour for him to get his lil suite on so he didnt get messy. he didnt stick around long. the guy today was just out crawling in the crap to check for twins on my cow. she had a dead heatwave heifer. a week early. backwards. sucked major., i been waiting for this calf all year. alota neighbors too. shes a 6-7 year old cow very surprised. last year she had 105 pound heifer all on her own. o well

[cowgirl_up_47

Steer Boy 101 said:
we had a vet last year who we called on a emergecy call come and it took half hour for him to get his lil suite on so he didnt get messy. he didnt stick around long. the guy today was just out crawling in the crap to check for twins on my cow. she had a dead heatwave heifer. a week early. backwards. sucked major., i been waiting for this calf all year. alota neighbors too. shes a 6-7 year old cow very surprised. last year she had 105 pound heifer all on her own. o well

That is never good, I'm sorry.

LN said:
How old was the heifer?

She is 21 months.

amymeys

Really cool pictures!  Thanks for posting, I've never seen that done before!  How's the heifer?

[cowgirl_up_47

luvmyblue said:
Really cool pictures!  Thanks for posting, I've never seen that done before!  How's the heifer?

The cow is still down, they say she has some paralysis from calving.

The calf is very energetic, trying to run around, suck on everything, head butt, etc...

lowann

Had a few here too. All have been with the cow standing. No problems, they did just fine.
Thanks for the pictures. Very interesting. Good luck, I'm sure in a few days she will be up, and about.

red

now I know why I didn't become a vet! I couldn't watch DL's video of the PHA calf being cut out either.

Red

Latest posts