CALF CHEWING ITS HALTER

Help Support Steer Planet:

WOLF SHOW CATTLE

I HAVE A CALF THAT CHEWS HIS ON THE HALTER !! HE WILL CHEW COMPLETELY THRU IT IN A SHORT TIME . ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD WAYS TO MAKE HIM STOP ?? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!

Chiquita

Never tried it on halters but we have put hot sauce on stuff that heifers have chewed on and they stop

CAB

We took a piece of PVC, 8/10 inches long and slipped over the lead and then tied him. That stopped it.

vc

I'm with CAB, PVC or heavy hose will do it.
Hot sauce may work but if you forget and get it on your hands and then in your eyes you wont forget again.

cowsrcuddly

We had the same thing this year...changed the steer's name to Chewy!!  Couldn't get him to stop.  If we did something to his halter, he chewed on the calf's halter tied next to him.  He even chewed his neck tie.  He progessively got worse...went through 6 halters and chewed the ends of the halters of his friends next to him.  Finally put him in a pen by himself without being tied.  I agree..putting hot stuff on halter will get on your hands.  Don't know if you could do it for a couple of days, then he would quit, or if he would go back to doing it later.  We kept hay and feed in front of him to keep him busy, but he just kept chewing.  What a pain in the rear! <beer>

flacowman

My last one only chewed on the end of his rope and only when he was tied.  If I made it so he couldn't chew he wouldn't stand still, so I just let him chew and bought a new halter for him every month or so.

Latest posts