calf cool room

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl2232

I'd like to start putting a few calves in a cool room. Can i purchase one for a reasonable price? or would it be cheaper to make one myself?

bwl1101

Well if you don't have just the right set up I believe you'll be better off buying one. I'm just about done building mine & for what I wanted I should have bought one. Look around there out there, idk where our from but there was one in the Farm World paper, This is a big classifieds paper in Indiana, that covers IND,Ky,Oh,Mi,& Ill. The one in the add was for 2100 but description was real brief. My cooler room is 11'x22' I only had to insulate 2 walls and the ceiling and buy a unit and i'm up to about 3700. Live and learn i guess.........

AAOK

showgirl2232 said:
I'd like to start putting a few calves in a cool room. Can i purchase one for a reasonable price? or would it be cheaper to make one myself?

Buy a Cool Calf.  Commercial refrigeration is all they do, and they do it great.  I know Clendon Gilbert personally, and I can tell you, if you call him, he will correctly answer any, and all of your questions.  If you're serious about having a Cool Room, don't mess around with junking one together.

www.coolcalf.com

showgirl2232

thank you very much i have always just put my calves under fans, but i feel like it's just not enough. our barn gets hott come summer time, and fan doesn't do much. do you juin a secst put the cool calf section of your barn? how big is it?

AJH

You're gonna have alot of money wrapped up into a cool calf room probably 5000+, Find some used panels or build a room and buy a good refrigeration unit. I know some people who have over 12,000 wrapped up into a cool calf, it's a nice room but i'm very satisfied with what I got.

savaged

Showgirl,

PM me if you are looking for a moderate sized unit for a few calves and I can tell you how I built mine for way less cost than you might think.  You can not cut corners and it will not be cheap, but you may not need to spend $5,000 either.  If you need a large room for multiple fat steers and or a lot of yearling heifers then I'd call Cool Calf. 
For my needs, I am very satisfied with what I was able to do for the money.  Sub 50 degrees, stays fresh, and pretty easy to maintain.

chiangus

that is a pretty slick system.

I have pondered making my own, but I am guessing it would be tough to do it much cheaper.  My plan was to build the room out of 2x6's and shoot foam for extra insulation

Show Steaks

I was going to try to buy an insulated semi trailer , cut off the wheels and hitch and throw it on the ground, pre-insulated may even have the refer enginue still attached

MooMooLover

We haven't finished our room yet, but we found a refrigeration unit on ebay. It was only 15 mos old, looks brand new for $530. We had to drive 6 hrs one way to pick it up, but I think it was well worth it.