Calf not growing hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

I have a monopoly/hoodoo smoke heifer and I'm having problems growing hair on her.  We had a show a couple months ago and she still looks show day clipped.  I live in Indiana so it's been plenty cold enough and the others that was shown look like a yak. 

Spencer10218

you have to constantly work the hair, rinsing , blowing and combing. the more time you spend combing her the more hair she will grow. I dont know anything about the dam but it also may not be in her genetics to grow a lot of hair, just enough to keep warm. are you taking her to HBC

Spencer10218

I try to work with with mine at least once a day but twice is ideal, you don't need to rinse everyday but at least comb and blow. In the summer it's 3 times a day and under mist fans all day for mine. But good luck this weekend.

Tallcool1

Depending upon hair quality, she may just look fresh clipped because all of her hair has grown evenly.

If it is that real nice thick soft stuff, they can look fresh clipped for quite some time.

If in fact she isn't growing any, focus on how the hair she has works.  Get the most out of what you have.  Some of them just don't have a whole lot!  Make sure she is out where it is cold, and not in a barn.  Pour her. 

DSCSD

Good hair starts with good genetics.... good hair also will grow with good blood flow... like a roto brush on the legs gets blood flowing to the legs... which promotes healthy hide and hair.... like working 2 rice brushes on the hair gets your blood flowing and the animals.... you could always send in a sample to see what vitamin the animal is lacking... ive heard of some people doing that before