Calf Pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

RLN Cattle

So with the help of you all, I finally bit the bullet and dove into the club calf business!  I really appreciated your help in selecting sires to use, and how to go about building a strong herd.  We'll see how it plays out within the next couple of weeks. Had my first A.I. babies hit the ground and Im super excited, but I would like some general rules of evaluating baby calves.  I know some people have the eye and can tell a good one as soon as it hits the ground.  But what are you looking for in baby calves?  How can you tell if you've got a good product to start talking up? How soon can I make a pretty fairly accurate judgement on how well a calf should turn out?  When do they start filling out and becoming the part?  Any ideas on when/if/how I should go about picturing baby calves?  I've got so many questions.  Don't expect answers for all of them, but any guidance would be great!  Thanks.  You guys are the best!  Attached is a picture of one of my heifer calves.  Any opinions on her potential? 

Attachments

• 486512_10200505253621057_1716771276_n.jpg
    486512_10200505253621057_1716771276_n.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 193

RLN Cattle

Oh, and could you all throw up some pictures of your calves??? Let me know what a good one looks like pretty young!

Cattle Cards

What I see is a pretty nice calf, by any standard.  A show calf, we'll have to see.  I do like the long, strong top and straight legs.  Appears to be straight in the hocks and hind leg.  Something I appreciate.  Also has some nice bone and has some length to the canon bone.  If they're too short and they'll be nice prospect calves but never mature out or get big.  Much width?  Hard to see but appears to stand like there's some width there...I look at it this way.  I breed what I like.  If they're good enough to show, I may keep them or sell them for a good price.  If they're ok, there are plenty of kids who need nice 4-H and FFA project.  Not everyone will or can compete at the national level.  Some people's goal is to make the county sale.  And they're always be some that just don't cut the mustard.  But from what I see, you've got a nice calf there.  Good luck with the rest of your babies.

kidsandkows

We have recently joined the clubby deal too in the last few years so I am anxious to see what people have to write about your questions. They are very good questions I probably didnt have the guts to ask. It is possible to that there may be no answer to some of them, but it doesnt hurt to ask! The biggest thing I have noticed in the clubby vs. Commercial/Other newborn calves is the bone. I think good ones usually come with quite a bit more bone and are much squarer in the hip like their hook and pin bones are a little wider set. If that helps any that has been my limited experience.

OH Breeder

What's the breeding on your calf pictured?

I think at times it is hard when they are young. I have had some calves that did a complete turn around from birth to 6 months. One bull that I have used quiet a bit throws little one's but they grow and fill out like weeds. sometimes you can just see the bone and muscle in a new born. You can pick out that massive hip too. I am still perfecting my eyes, partially because half the time I don't wear my glasses and I can't see.

RLN Cattle

The calf is a Sunseeker out of an All About You X Hostage cow.  I was kind of limited on my bull selection this year due to the fact that my father didn't want me to jump in head first spending much money my first year (which I believe was a good call on his part).  So I used some of the more reputable bulls I could find, at discount rates.  The calf has moderate width from behind.  Nothing to be ashamed of, but you wouldn't stop in your tracks and say "Wow!" .  I've heard about how bulls will throw smaller ones, and like OH Breeder said, they really crank it up the following months.  Others just naturally have the phenotype.  So I guess is it possible to get that massive hip and top, even though a calf might not show it right away?  Will sunseeker calves come around, or am I stuck with what I have?  I am not looking for a massive national level breakthrough Cattle Cards, right now I would be content to sell to local county fair kids.  Thanks for your help so far, and keep the comments flowing! 

Cattle Cards

Sun Seeker is a nice bull.  And I always look at the % of Chi.  At 20.583% his heifers will all be eligible for ACA Nation shows and sales.  He's also the sire of Babe Ruth, Priceless and Ragin Cajun.  I have heard that Sun Seeker calves usually do great early, will do great as calves, prospects, etc but may or may not mature out.  If you're showing and sell prospects, you'll do well.  Looking at your calf, you could wow them at the County level, no problem.  And I hope you do even better.  Wishing you well.

savaged

Heck I'll post a couple of "before / after" pics.  These are two of my calves from last year that turned out pretty good.  Two different types too - the red steer (Monopoly Money) won our open feeder show, and the heifer (Mercedes Benz) is a really nice P.B. Maine breeding heifer.  Both have value, but I tend to prefer breeding for good breeding heifers - at least in part because I think the market for them is more stable over the long term compared to market animals.

Attachments

• Monopoly Money @ One Week (resized).jpg
    Monopoly Money @ One Week (resized).jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 194
  • MM Steer Resized.jpg
    MM Steer Resized.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Mercedes 2012.jpg
    Mercedes 2012.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Mercedes Fall 2012.jpg
    Mercedes Fall 2012.jpg