Calf Problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

steve2014

I have this calf that I am trying ot halter break, but whenever i trie to lead him he loses his balance and cant breathe. Does anybody know what could cause this?

cowman 52

Sounds like he has figured the game out. I really doubt he can't breathe. Have seen them fall over before, it's his way of saying "up yours"

frostback

Do you have anyone pushing him from behind? Some dont like the pressure on their head and will stove up. Try getting someone pushing him and then who ever is holding the halter give no pressure until he learns what you want of him which is just move his feet. Just keep the halter tight and keep his nose tipped the way you want him to go but dont pull.

savaged

Let him drag the halter a couple of days.  Working in a small pen, periodically go in with him and pick op the lead, and then, very gradually, teach him to give to pressure - light tugs -  from his left side.  When I say give I mean at first when he even just shifts his weight toward pressure, then give him slack and reward him with a few back scratches. Be patient, calm, and speak to him in a soft voice.  Gradually expect more "give" progressing from a lean, to a step, to several steps, etc.  Always reward with slack and if he seems to like it scratching on his back.  As he becomes more calm you can move toward scratching his neck. Go slow and have patience.  If he begins to move on his own just "walk" him in whichever direction he chooses to go -  do not fight against him.  As you get him to take "steps", then begin giving the pressure from the normal lead position.  Remember to reward him often, stay calm, and keep your movements smooth and steady.  When he will walk a distance with pressure, then you may tie him as well. 

Do this often and consistently and (given a normal temperament calf) within a few days you will have him broken.  Not to say you won't have your moments, but the problem you described should be significantly reduced.

GoWyo

Savaged nailed it.  Treat every calf this way from the beginning and many of them will figure out how to lead in a couple of 15 minute sessions.  We don't tie until they figure out how to lead - eliminates them fighting the halter and they don't get sore chins.