Calf Rolling Rear Pasterns

Help Support Steer Planet:

cash-n-in

I had a Jakes Proud Jazz calf, did the exact same,, eventually got a little better, we stretched everyday, used selinium, feet trimmed regularly and walked her everyday for an hour to strech legs, walking up hill to force her to push off and use the hind legs, never really straightened out and caused the toes to grow uneven and pointed. Never using Jakes' again, seems every Jakes you find these days is having feet issues, question is is theis genetically that can be passed down?

CAB

Johndeereman, how is your calf getting along by now? Just curious as to how it is making out.

johndeereman

She's actually doing really well.  Can hardly notice it anymore.  Should be able to make it to an acceptable finished weight.

DL

johndeereman said:
She's actually doing really well.  Can hardly notice it anymore.  Should be able to make it to an acceptable finished weight.

glad to hear that JDman-as I recall you sent in a sample - thanks for that? and how about you cash-n-in did you send in a sample? I would hope so - digital subluxation tends to improve with age - the only way to identify the mutation is to submit samples on calves with the condition.

jhumphries

This spring we had a troubadour heifer out of a heatwave x 1/2 simmy cow that pasterns looked identical to the calve above. She wasn't a big bw calve 70# her pasterns did straighten up some and get better since birth but still very noticeable once you notice it. But the worst part was that she would've been a 5-10 thousand dollar heifer. She grew out great  she tracks great, it doesn't bother her at all right now. We had several customers looked at her and never even noticed it until they say "what about that white heifer over their how much for her?"  my reply always was yeah she's good one but get behind her and look at her pasterns there bowed like a bow legged persons knees. So his was milkman calve heatwave son then mine is out of a heatwave cow that makes two heatwave x charolais genetics with it. Do you all think that is just a coincidence or that is a potential structure problem in HW/Char cross? Also does anybody know how common that this is we had calve born this fall that's back legs where bowed just like these ( ) parenthesis are shaped.  His have got a lot better though he is about 1 1/2 month old now and it's getting to where you don't notice sometime now. but he was a big birth weight calf with a gigantic butt. It might have just been from how he was laying in the cow before he was born. Could any of these things be caused by or made worse by a  selenium deficiency our vet is always talking about selenium. Thanks for any reply's

aj

I had the one calf...steer I carried over with the cows just to see how he grew. He will be 2 years old in March. He is kinda stunted in his growth. Really really moderate...not tall.

cash-n-in

No we sold her about a month ago, still straight in the legs, and never knew to send in blood or where, until this blog, she was real nice too, but once you noticed, we never  knew how long she would make it, toes point upward a bit, back on her heals too much, feet trimmed to help that but so tight in the rear pastures.

glad to hear everyone else's are doing good.

renegadelivestock

Boot Jack Bulls said:
steer711 said:
give em a shot of selineum

I will second that! Every once in a while we will get a calf like that, usually a big calf that the momma carried a bit too long. The shot and a bit of patience often does the trick.

I have had good luck with selenium as well, but always give 5cc of tetracycline as well,it helps relax the ligaments, I just do it withh of my newborns now as a general practice