calve won't suck!

Help Support Steer Planet:

irh

Sorry, my computer went nuts.  We are tubing him now and he is running around, nice bull calve 1-80.  Any suggestions?  We use to raise holestein bucket calves never had this kind of troubles. 

frostback

Just keep trying every 4 hours.  If the cow will let you you may have to hold him under mom and stick a teat in his mouth. If you can squeeze a bit in his mouth. If its a bottle, stick the nipple in there and move it around and squeeze the bottle some so he taste the milk. Make sure he is standing if possible, which he should be since you said he was running around. Just keep trying to let him nurse instead of just tubing him, but if he wont nurse then all means keep him fed.

leanbeef

Every four hours is too often...he's not gonna starve, and he'll be a lot more cooperative if he's hungry. Unless they're weak and sickly and need special attention, I would put him on a morning/evening schedule and make sure he eats good twice a day, preferably mama's milk if that's possible--either him nursing her or milking the cow and feeding the calf. It shouldn't take long to have him straightened up & turned out with mama.

obie105

We had one a few years ago that wouldnt suck so after the initial day of tubing the vet said he would be good for 48 hours without nursing or getting tubed. By the next afternoon he sucked the bottle and by the next morning he was sucking the cow. Sometimes they need encouragement.

irh

Thanks, we've done it all hopefully he'll take off sucking.  His mother will probably be hamburger, don't put up with cows that won't let their babies suck!

bs77

irh said:
Thanks, we've done it all hopefully he'll take off sucking.  His mother will probably be hamburger, don't put up with cows that won't let their babies suck!
That's a little different, if it's a mothering issue get them in a tight area, or put her in a head gate. It might take a couple days, but they usually will knock it off. I use the calf claimer o no more, dampen their hair and sprinkle it from nose to tail and the cow will usually start licking the calf acting like a mom again. I agree with the quote above with letting him suck twice a day, keep him a little hungry he'll be more aggressive. But make sure he has enough clostrum the first 24 hours so he don't get scours.

willow

O-No-More, a small pen and a set of hobbles if she kicks at him.  Good luck getting the hobbles on and give the cow a minute to get used to them before you stick the calf in there.   

frostback

Wow my calves have been doing it wrong all these years, becuase they suck more than twice a day.

knabe

scratch their back like you are the cow's tongue.

watch cows get their own calves to suck.

duplicate it.

Woody

If it has no will to nurse I rub them vigorously with an old towel to get their blood flowing. Get a little milk in their throught and rub them again. Repeat.

Limiman12

Frostback, it is not how often a normal calf sucks, it is trying to get a calf Hungary enough. To want food...... 

frostback

If its as simple as the calf is not hungry enough to suck then why didnt he do it at birth? He would surly be hungry then. There is a problem in the connections somewhere in him, thats what needs addressing.  I re read my origanal post and forgot to add that I only give half a bottle every 4 hours. Keeping them somewhat hungry but also not filling them up so they just go lay down for hours is what I was talking about. After I kick the pair out of the chute I always stay there and keep pushing the calf under the cow to try to get the bond going. I like keeping the cows bag milked somewhat down so she dosnt get sore and want to kick the calf off because it hurts or bothers her. Rub a bit of milk on the teats so maybe the calf can smell it there.