Calves forever homes

Help Support Steer Planet:

forbes family farms

Does anyone ever keep any of their calves forever until they die of old age? I am going to keep one of my show heifers from this year forever because of the great quality she is and she is so tame i am so attached, she has taught be life learned lessons and her mom and her have excellent breeding behind them. I will keep her on this farm until she dies of old age because that is where she belongs if she does need to be put down for some reason in her future i will put her down i do not want to see her suffer. Just Curious.

lucysmom

We have one that has a free pass. First show heifer my son had, is a great cow and a really good herd boss and babysitter.  Also tame as
can be of course. She has quite the personality. :)

JAG

I've got a 14 year old that has earned her place on the farm.  About six years ago she had a 150 pound Heatseeker calf on her own and still managed to have calves for two years following that.  She doen't breed anymore, but does enjoy an ear of corn or a handful of alfalfa every now and then.

HAB

I kept my first Galloway show heifer until she was 19.  She produced 5 herd bulls and10 replacement heifers in her lifetime.  Her last bull was one of her best, weaned off at 648 lbs with no creep, at 7 months.  Had to put her down that winter.

farmboy

there are a few like that around here. one is called the dinosaur. she's almost as old as I am. the other was my first 4-h project which I bottle fed and ended up winning my class with. not to mention she has some Bodacious calves every year

Diamond

just one, 'house' as we call her sometimes  is worth her weight in gold. We use to fall asleep on her back at the 4-h shows and she would rock to wake us up before she would stand up. had a few cows get out one time and she stuck them all in a corner and just kept them there till we got them on the trailer. she also lets kids paint her every year at our last show with hair color spray. Several years ago I was walking outside and a cow(with no calf mind you)  I had bought several months prier decided it would be fun to chase me up a loader, mind you the tire on this thing is as tall as I am, and that old lady came flying up the pasture and sent her flying over the other side. but one of the best things about her, was when she was about four or five this crazy PETA woman came threw the barn and decided that untying animals was a good idea...needless to say, she turned around and stood there, with absolutely no interest to be 'liberated'. She has done the normal thing and produced me some great calves, and this year we had her great-great-great grand daughter born :) not to mention, shes the first cow I owned who won just about every class she was entered into. So, shes earned her right to die on the farm.

wowcows

I guess ole "Janet" will be here for as long as she wants to. Hate to pay to get rid of a carcass and or at the least get salvage value out of her but I think it might be the better idea rather than sleeping in the shop the rest of my life.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Did you know Bodacious is the name of one of the toughest bucking bulls, also a killer if given the chance , just a little history . good name but it makes you think ...Ive never heard of a old home for cattle , but my wife is in the process of developing one for horses that are worthy of a resting place an good wholesome country until they do die ...No stall kept in to geet Arthritis ,dirty an maybe not fed .  Horses live quite a bit longer than most cattle ....

CJC

Freddy said:
Did you know Bodacious is the name of one of the toughest bucking bulls, also a killer if given the chance , just a little history . good name but it makes you think ...Ive never heard of a old home for cattle , but my wife is in the process of developing one for horses that are worthy of a resting place an good wholesome country until they do die ...No stall kept in to geet Arthritis ,dirty an maybe not fed .  Horses live quite a bit longer than most cattle ....

Freddy
That bull was only mean when some one was on his back. You could walk up and pet all over him.

SKF

My son's first heifer will stay with us until she dies of old age. She is 11 now and has bad udder so she is just a pet. She was a bottle calf and is the sweetest cow and she does not think she is a cow. She is the reason we got involved in showing so she gets to stay.