Calves with ring worm

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jrobertson30

I have a couple show calves with ringworm. My shorthorn has it really bad on the face. I was wondering if any one had good speedy cures to it so that they will be readdy for the cattlemens classic

kfacres

get a goat...  we  used to put something on it.. LA200 or something.. I forget.. but we have a goat now, and don't get it anymore.. not sure what it is though... I forgot, we had a discussion on goats and ringworm on here a while back...

Do a search!

frostback

Dont scratch it, it will take longer to heal. Get a pound of bacon, cook normally, eat bacon, let grease cool, place grease in container, place in fridge till sticky. Put on gloves and rub on ringworm. It is safe to use around eyes.

lightnin4

I have been using Captan (fungicide for fruit trees) mixed with water with good success.  A few weeks ago I noticed a spot of ringworm on the back leg of one of my heifers and had some Fluid Film sitting nearby in the barn so I used it.  It seemed to work quicker than anything else I've used.  I sprayed it every other day for 3 treatments.  It was already starting to clear up after the first one.   

kyfarmgirl10

Just wanna say from experience i dont see how a goat would help ? We show wethers and they actually gave our cattle show string ring worm just saying

dallee

Tea Tree oil mixed with A & D ointment (without zinc).  Put on the ringworm & work it into hair around the edges of the ringworm also....works great!  <cowboy>

cutieputie0093

rub the scap off with alcohol or bleach on a cotton ball and they spray it with spray paint. works for me  <cowboy>

nobody

cutieputie0093 said:
rub the scap off with alcohol or bleach on a cotton ball and they spray it with spray paint. works for me  <cowboy>
Yes, we have used paint before and it works just fine.

texas111

Fugall works good as well as fugus fighter.  both are available at sullivans supply.  Spray the fungus fighter around your barn and equipmant.  This will help, it has helped us.  good luck fighting the fungus!!!  

CAB

the truth said:
get a goat...  we  used to put something on it.. LA200 or something.. I forget.. but we have a goat now, and don't get it anymore.. not sure what it is though... I forgot, we had a discussion on goats and ringworm on here a while back...

Do a search!

Can someone explain how running a goat with cattle keeps them from getting ringworm or is it one of those, I don't know, but it just works things? It fasinates me to think that it works.

angus88

As strange as it sounds monistat cream works great, I just get the off brand of it.  I have even used it on dogs and cats.  Then once it is gone if you put on MTG it will grow the hair back a little quicker and you will be good to go.  I have also used spray paint and it works too.  Good luck!

R1Livestock

kyfarmgirl10 said:
Just wanna say from experience i dont see how a goat would help ? We show wethers and they actually gave our cattle show string ring worm just saying

Your answer lies in your question.  You were using a wether, to the best of my knowledge it needs to be a mature billy goat.  I have absolutely no idea how it works, but since we've had goats on the place, we have not had a drop of ring worm. (Knock on wood)  I remember in previous discussions someone was out West at a bull sale, and each pen of bulls had a  billy goat in it to prevent ringworm from breaking out.  I think it is filed under that "might work, but no clue how or why" category.

PaFFA Proud

MTG works at killing it and quick hair re-growth..I live by this stuff and keep 2 bottles of this stuff in my barn closets!

dcbehle

We've been battling ringworm on 5 calves that we are getting ready for the Classic. Noticed it the week before Christmas and didn't get a good start until the week after Christmas. It was pretty bad by then.

We've used a combination of Scarlex and Blue Star Ointment. The Scarlex is made for open wounds on horses, but it has worked good for us. It is anti-fungal (ringworm is a fungus), antibacterial, and it is an oil base so it doesn't dry out. It comes in an aerosol spray can for $6. The Blue Star Ointment came highly recommended on this site, so we've been trying that too. We have one calf that goes nuts when we use an aerosol spray, so spreading the ointment using my finger works great. As stated many times on this site, it is very contageous so use rubber or latex gloves to keep you from getting it.

We worked our calves hard for one week and I've noticed hair growing back in. The recent cold spell has limited our time with them recently.  I'm prepared to start using the MTG as previously noted to help regrow hair. Some of our spots were as big as the palm of your hand.

CJC

I like how yall are telling what you are using; But know one is saying how long it take to kill the ringworm. Bobby at Bonhams show cattle told me that their is nothing that will kill it. It has to run its course (28 days). For as the fungus fighter that Sullivan's sell if you smell it. It smells like rubbing alcohol. You can buy a bottle of 99% at the feed store a lot cheaper then the bottle of fungus fighter JMO

HF CHARS

Jrobertson30 said:
I have a couple show calves with ringworm. My shorthorn has it really bad on the face. I was wondering if any one had good speedy cures to it so that they will be readdy for the cattlemens classic
      We had a couple calves get ringworm two weeks before agribition.  I used Betadine Surgical scrub that I got from my vet,  Apply the scrub, an then used a wire brush and worked it in till it was bleedin good, then put some more on the top.  When we got to the border and went through vet inspection, you could not evan see the spots anymore.  So Two weeks, you should get it taken care of this way.  Worked for me in a pinch.  Good Luck