Calving Ease Heifer Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hi all!

Having just finished my steer showing career and with the room now to raise more calves, I purchased two heifers and am now looking for some advice on bulls. I have two heifers, a late march Total Perfection x angus registered mainetainer and a mid-april Jesse James x i80 crossbred. I have been looking into different bulls, but I was looking to see if there were any suggestions out there! I'm looking to breed more clubby calves and as for bulls maine/ cross would be my first choice but I am pretty open to any opinions or options out there.

Thanks!

shortybreeder

I'm not very knowledgeable on clubby breeding, but someone's going to say it, so I may as well put it on here: pictures of the heifers would be helpful in order to match them with the right bull.

Total Perfection x angus heifer.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_9025.PNG
    IMG_9025.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 290
  • IMG_9024.PNG
    IMG_9024.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 250

BroncoFan

My $.02 is just get a live calf and healthy cow. Any more than that is a bonus. Daddy's Money, Jose, some Angus bulls, JPJ, etc.

Bradenh

Brandon birds no free rides bull works great on clubbed up females like that first picture

He sites the champion chi steer at houston this last year as a rookie, I have high expectations on using a lot of that on heifers

HAB

Moto Moto will work on both of those heifers. 

His heifer calves make cows, plain and simple.  His steers haven't been too shabby either.

Attachments

• moto moto 120615.jpg
    moto moto 120615.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 269

librarian

I was going to say Moto Moto too, but didn't want to exasperate people by always saying how great Galloways are. 
I don't understand the show cattle market at all, but the Galloway sired calf saves money for those who need to consider the economics. A good Galloway bull will be as heifer safe as anything you can find, the calves are naturally hairy so the buyer saves on electricity and all the hair promoters, the calves will be triple purpose-  breed them, show them or eat them. They will cut well. But maybe the main thing is how cheap they would be to feed. There is a post about a very beautiful heifer that the owner put a lot of money into for feed. As far as body condition goes, a good Galloway heifer looks like that on pasture without any feed.
So, because of $$$$ saved, all the way around, I'd recommend every show heifer be bred Galloway the first time.
But a question is, would the White Park pattern (white with black ears and nose) work against Shorthorn Plus in the ring? My own observation is that the White Galloways often have more of that show look body type and shorter heads. But this color pattern is dominant so if you use it, its there to stay.

Thank you all! I have been doing some looking into Daddy's Money and JPJ, and most recently Mercedes Benz. Thanks again!

LLBUX

One of my Beltie bulls will give you hair, moderation,
loud color and a very maternal female.

I'll give you semen if interested.

OH Showman

I really like No Worries for calving ease. We had two heifers this year. They came small and are growing really well. We sold one for 3500 out of a $1500 cow. The other we are keeping and showing, he really powered up her dam which is a double clean, really sound, maternal, flat muscled Monopoly cow. The heifer is stout, big hipped, huge footed and big boned. I would say he is the best CE bull I've seen that can not just maintain but add power and bone to calves while keeping them small but with plenty of grow. Not to mention they are the tamest calves we have had in the barn and both came with brockle faces.

We have a few Daddy's Money calves coming next month and are excited to see how they look.

Mercedes Benz is a bull I would say should be used on big bodied, soggy made heifers. We used him on a really deep, plainer fronted heifer this year to try to freak her up a bit. Your heifers both look plenty feminine so I would go with something with a little more middle and substance to them.