calving ease simmi bulls?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowzrus

Which of these bulls would you or could you use on first time heifers? and approximately what kind of BW could we expect.  Thanks in advance

DJ Salution
F nichols Muhammad
meyers climax
svf star power
wagr dream catcher 03r

LN

I would recommend Salution and Dream Catcher based on their CE EPDs. I don't have any personal experience with those bulls though. What type of heifers do you have? Depending on your goals there are many other CE Simmental sires available.

cowzrus

a friend of mine has a simmi heifer they want me to AI for them, and we had originally chosen star power but the calving reports scared me off some.  They are sending me a copy of her registration tonight so I can research her background more.  The heifer is a typical simmi, that needs some clean up in her front.  A little more femininity and bone.  We need to class her up with more eye appeal.  She is plenty thick and plenty deep, just want more show ring appeal all the while keeping the calf at 3/4 simmi.

LinZ

Personally I don't care for any on the list, however if these are the only options I would go with DJ Salution. He'll add the style, bone I'm not sure and calves have been small from what I've seen. If you want to add more bone I wouldn't even think about Star Power, I have not heard good things about any Dream Catcher calves, Muhammad I don't like what I've seen out of him, Climax I don't like at all. All in all for what you are wanting I think DJ Salution is your best bet.

JMHO,
LinZ

Bone2011

What ever you do do not use star power on heifers unless your heifers can handle 120 lbs calfs. If i would recomend one it would be dream catcher, he has produce many really good ones including the american royal champion heifer last year(that i had in my barn for sometime) But give scott werning a call he can set you up.

GONEWEST

I have to strongly disagree with the statement that Dream Catcher has produced MANY good ones.

Triple C Reymond and Dream On might be your best bets. Maybe Trademark although some of those are a little too frail.

Bone2011

GONEWEST said:
I have to strongly disagree with the statement that Dream Catcher has produced MANY good ones.

Triple C Reymond and Dream On might be your best bets. Maybe Trademark although some of those are a little too frail.

I dont know the last 3 years in a row the simmental champion heifer at our state fair has been a dream catcher in both the pb and percentage divisions. So he must be doing something right.

rtmcc

This year we had DJ Solution calves out of our Sim-Angus first calf heifers.  A 70# heifer and a 90# bull out a heifer with some heavy birth eight on her pedigree.  Both came spitting right out and jumped up and nursed. we are excited about both calves and will definitely use him again.  I will try to get some pics this weekend if the sun comes out.

AStar

I have used Dreamcatcher on Angus cows for two seasons and have not been disappointed.

vet tech

I like climax and Muhammad.....dont know why some people dont....I mean in general, not calving ease