Calving Pen-Pulling Problem-Your Input Please

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

I built a calving pen in my barn.  Purchased a commercial cattle gate with built-in headgate and swing gate.  Many companies make them, and I am sure many of you own one or have built your own.  You simply mount the gate against a wall (6x6 etc for strength and support).  It has a headgate built into it with a "swing gate" that pins to it at a 90 angle, right next to the headgate.  The swing gate also has a panel on it that hinges, that flips up so you can milk the cow or put the calf on the cow.  Run the cow in, lock her head, check calf position, put on chains, begin to pull calf.  All good so far.  Then...

If the cow goes down when you begin to pull the calf, and her feet/legs point towards the inside of the pen, you are fine and have ample room to manipulate your calf puller.  If however,

the cow goes down when you begin to pull the calf, and her feet/legs point towards the solid wall (or immovable gate), you do not have enough room to crank your calf puller and pull bar down under cow, because you hit the wall.  Ideally you would have a movable gate on the other side of the cow also.  As I have seen in some commercial designs that are all portable gates.

Sometimes I have help and I place a rope on the cows rear leg (closest to the wall), and someone pulls on the rope when the cow starts to go down, moving her in the right direction.  However, I don't always have help, or strong enough help to pull a 1500lb cow.

Anyone have this same experience?  Who among you can help me with some ideas and possible solutions?  It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

drl

For these kind of reasons I wonder if a hoof trimming chute tip table would work good. It has a headgate and once you get things positioned right you could put her on her side. Not saying it would be cost efficient but sure is an idea. Our calving pen is a Hiqual and the back corner you refer to has that corner swing out of the way. We actually have used that quite a bit. Most of the time when they go down on us they go that way(lay on their left so you need more room to the right).

frostback

The best side for a cow to lay on when calving is the RIGHT. The rumen helps expell the calf.

SEA

When my cow is in the head gate, the wall is on the right hand side of her.  Therefore, when she goes down, I want her on her right side to pull calf, and have ger back against the wall.

To drl:  Not sure about your hoof trimming table.  It would take up quite a bit of room in a pen, not sure if I want the cow up in the air, plus I agree with the "not cost efficient", thought.  Some cattlemen have calving pens w/headgates, set up in a row in a calving barn.

I would like to still utilize my barn, calving pen, and set-up that I currently have.  I just want to modify or renovate the design a little.  It is fairly new, and it works, I just want it to work better.

Thanks,

CAB

http://www.youtube.com/user/BETTERbyDESIGN1#p/u/8/VA9_sXMZErs.

Here's a site that you may want to ck out. I was impressed with this calving pen & would have liked to have one, but the shipping cut into the economics quickly. The reason that I pulled it up for you is that they put the headgate in the center of the pen to avoid just the troubles that you are having. Take a look & possibly you can rearrange your headgate location. Brent

SEA

Thanks CAB!  I just watched the video from Hi-Hog Equipment.  I believe with another swing gate and a little cutting and welding I can modify mine.

Thanks,

SEA

Anyone else have the same experience?  Any other suggestions>

ValenteRanching

When I'm pulling a calf with a cow in a headgate I always put a square bale of hay or straw underneat her belly, this way if she does go down you can push or pull her to whatever side works best for your set up.

BIGTEX

My vet always puts a halter on them, even if they have never had one on and lays them down if they don't go down by themselves. I guess the shot to num the back end helps.

SEA

ValenteRanching said:
When I'm pulling a calf with a cow in a headgate I always put a square bale of hay or straw underneat her belly, this way if she does go down you can push or pull her to whatever side works best for your set up.
To Valente Ranching,

This sounds good, easy, and inexpensive.

If you put the bale under the right side of the cow, will the cow always "kick out" her legs to the left?  Therefore, laying on her right side and away from the wall/gate?

Thanks,

SEA

BIGTEX said:
My vet always puts a halter on them, even if they have never had one on and lays them down if they don't go down by themselves. I guess the shot to num the back end helps.
To: Big Tex,

When your vet puts a halter on the cow in the head chute, does he unlock the head chute and back her out a little?  What is the reason for this?  Maybe, so that if/when she goes down, that she goes backwards, she does not STRANGLE herself in the head chute, and have trouble getting her back up?

Also, what is your vet giving your cow an injection of, and when, and why?

Thanks in advance,

BIGTEX

She never has her head in the head chute. She is tied to the lowes bar, as she lays down I let rope out. I guess my vet uses an epidural? I know someone else can answer that better. He gives it to her 15 min. before he pulls the calf, in the top of the tailhead.

jbzdad

was over looking at rods new setup and talked with him quite a while... he doesn't use a headgate, gets the cow between the two gates and gets a halter on her... then ties that up fairly  close but with enough slack she can lay down... he can then open both gates to get them well out of his way... his pen is in an insulated barn with dirt floor... the tie off for the halter is o big steel post cemented in, it is solid... his "swing" gate is almost as long as the pen so he can catch the cow without her really being able to get to him.... he has a chain on the "pen".. that he uses to hold the 'Swing " gate ...

he is meticulous with cleaning up his messes, uses lime on the dirt after cleaning up wet spots

the vet is doing a caudle block... that local is going into the arachnoid space

Hope this helps