Calving Problems Already

Help Support Steer Planet:

minimoo38

yesterday, we had a cow give birth to twin heifers. dead, hairless, twins. they were 5 months along, and about 20 lbs. (not much bigger than my cat) they had some deformity so that their legs are backwards. any idea why they are like this? genetic abnormality, infection, th, pha? she was bred to HeatWave 1.

Attachments

• Lacy's_Calves_1.jpg
    Lacy's_Calves_1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 513

red

Wow, what was the cow? With the hernias, it looks like TH but I'm not the expert. Did you save them? You can send in an ear for verification.

Red

justme

I'd definitly send in an ear on those...wow so sorry you had such a mess. 

shorthorns r us

was the cow naturally exposed following AI?  if so, how is the bull bred?  never had or seen a PHA calf in person; but, you may have hit the lucky double-double

minimoo38

JbarL said:
where are you located?....the deer gnat situation, last summers (fall) in so ohio listed a possible effect in cattle as aborted early calves...not sure of the hernia's..?jbarl

i'm in central iowa. so should i sent it to the ISU lab? how should i sent it? like special packaging and keeping it frozen.

minimoo38

SRU said:
was the cow naturally exposed following AI?  if so, how is the bull bred?  never had or seen a PHA calf in person; but, you may have hit the lucky double-double

yes she was. he is out of Jazz. he also bred 6-8 other cows. OH NO!!! i guess that i have to wait and see.

shortyjock89

Send a sample of the ear of the calves to Dr. Beever.  He's here at the University of Illinois, but you probably need to send the samples to his private lab.  Agri-Genomics I think is what it's called.  I think it has a Mansfield, IL address.  I'll try to find the address for you. 

minimoo38

omg omg omg! it's TH. it has to be. i just found this article.

http://www.maine-anjou.org/pdfs/AllintheGenes.pdf

look at the first shorthorn calf picture- hernia and backwards legs.

Jill

minimoo38 said:
where should i send the ear to?  i'll have to look at her paper to see what she was
If you go to the American Maine-Anjou Association website there is a section for genetic defects that tells you where to submit samples.

red

remember- you need both sire & dam to be carriers for a defective calf. Take a deep breath & calm down. Unless all your cows are bred similar, you should be OK.

Red

kanshow

I'm not sure a 5 month calf would have hair yet anyway?      Wondering if it might have just been a spontaneous abortion. 

shortyjock89

minimoo38 said:
it had hair on all of the legs, and the head, so some.  but still, why were all of the legs deformed, and why was there a huge hernia on the belly?

Because I'm pretty dang certain that those are TH calves.  Is the cow ok?  Also, If the cow and bull are registered, if we could get the reg. no's we could look up the pedigrees and find where the TH came in.

minimoo38

the cow is ok. she has one on her own, and the vet got the other one. i'll have to look tonight at the papers.

i think that what set it off was the cold blast of snow that came in yesterday morning. but i suppose that it was better to have them now than having them full term.

farmboy

if she took to heatwave, and the cow is a who x th carrier cow, it certainly could be TH but if the cow has no th carriers in her back ground, its impossible