calving problems on a nearby farm

Help Support Steer Planet:

flyintale

What causes a cow to try throw her womb before calving???  This is happened three times here within the last month at a nearby farm.  I was told to investigate and I cannot find any info on the net.  Please help!

HAB

Are these new cattle to this farm?

Prolapsing is genetic.  In my opinion.

Are the animals having to be sewn back up, or is it a partial prolapse, and retracts itself?

CAB

Flyin' Tale Farms said:
What causes a cow to try throw her womb before calving???  This is happened three times here within the last month at a nearby farm.  I was told to investigate and I cannot find any info on the net.  Please help!
It's not her womb but rather the floor of her vagina that they are seeing. As the calf gets bigger when the cow lays down,( and it's more than likely an older cow that has lost some muscle tone in her pelvic floor), it exerts extra pressure against her vagina & if it gets over centered she can't get it to slip back in. Some cows can get up and take a good stretch and it'll fall back in. As Hab asked or eluded to they may have to either sew a stitch in & around her vagina which will have to cut out for her to go ahead & calve or the vet can put in what is called a Johnson button which in using a Johnson Button, the cow will be able to go ahead & deliver her calf.

flyintale

These cattle are not new to the farm, they were 7 years old. The first two that this happened to, I believe she lost both the cow and the calf.  The third one she caught and called around to a couple neighbors who ended up shooting the cow and cutting the calf out, then ground the cow up into hamburger.  These aren't high dollar cattle, just your average brood cows.

So could it possibly be due to lack of mineral, or being overfed?? 

kfacres

I see most of our prolapses in the sheep for two reasons- 1- excessive large birthweights, hard pulls-- or both in comb.  2-- over feeding hay and underfeeding grain...  once the baby gets to a certain size- they just simpily run out of room...

in this case- I'd say just freak-- especially since they are established animals- in a program which unlikely has not changed management practices either. 

jagerbeef

we used to raise herfords, and we had two of them that developed a cyst on the uterus, and as the cow got older the cyst grew bigger.  We had one that was to the point where it was going to fall out. We stitched it and watched her close and when she calved we cut the stitch and had to push the cyst in and to one side.  Sounds like they were old cows that a guy was just getting rid of. 

kfacres

jagerbeef said:
we used to raise herfords, and we had two of them that developed a cyst on the uterus, and as the cow got older the cyst grew bigger.  We had one that was to the point where it was going to fall out. We stitched it and watched her close and when she calved we cut the stitch and had to push the cyst in and to one side.  Sounds like they were old cows that a guy was just getting rid of. 

Isn't that part of what killed off the HUGE Herf population?  Prolapse and Cancer Eye?

flyintale

Cut the BS said:
I see most of our prolapses in the sheep for two reasons- 1- excessive large birthweights, hard pulls-- or both in comb.  2-- over feeding hay and underfeeding grain...  once the baby gets to a certain size- they just simpily run out of room...

in this case- I'd say just freak-- especially since they are established animals- in a program which unlikely has not changed management practices either. 
[/quote

I know this lady overfeeds on silage, but I am not sure about hay.   

KSanburg

There is also times when a cow can have an infection (I forget what  the vet called it) that will make the cows irritated and push the uterus out, a round of antibiotic did wonders for my neighbors cows a couple years ago. He had 2 or 3 prolapse before they figured out what was going on.

kfacres

Mtnman said:
There is also times when a cow can have an infection (I forget what  the vet called it) that will make the cows irritated and push the uterus out, a round of antibiotic did wonders for my neighbors cows a couple years ago. He had 2 or 3 prolapse before they figured out what was going on.

I have had ewes do this before-- like a 2 week prior to labor pre labor...  simple shot of banamine worked for it... 

Ohioteerchick

Cut the BS said:
jagerbeef said:

Isn't that part of what killed off the HUGE Herf population?  Prolapse and Cancer Eye?

Yup! I've had one older cow show signs of prolapse when she'd lay down, the calf was pushing its way out, and another who fully prolapsed thanks to a AI calf.