can a cow give her babies BRD

Help Support Steer Planet:

RCF Farms

Have a Cow that the past three years each of her calves seem to have BRD problems. This last calf seems to have it and is only one month old. Have 10 cows and a bull and do not have trouble with any of the others. The two other calves have had what I call gurgling when breathing. Just seems to me like maybe they are inheriting it from her.

Will

She could be a PI or persistently infected.  Which means she carries the virus in her system then she continually transmits the virus to every animal she comes in contact with.  We test all of our stockers when they come in and we will end up with about 1% PI calves.  We turn right around and resale them and have it announced at the sale barn.  A calf become a PI calf if his mother is exposed to the bug in the second trimester then that calf becomes a typhoid mary that continues to release the bug through out it's life.  I would test her and send her to town if she is positive.  You can take a small sample from the ear and take it to any vet and they can send it off and have results for you in a couple days. 

RCF Farms

Also why wouldn't the rest of my herd get it to or at least a few. It is only her and her babies that I have had any issues with, weird?