Can you wash your calves in the cold

Help Support Steer Planet:

okiegirl

We have washed calves at 20 degrees with a massive wind and had no problems other than me freezing my butt off. 

grandchamp58

Haha yea your calves might not like it but they'll be fine! You on the overhand might need to have a blanket and some hot chocolate ready for after. <beer>

OH Breeder

openas_shorthorn said:
Can you wash your calves in the cold weather if you blow them dry right away

what do you consider cold?
here we wash in a heated room when it gets in the teens to zero degrees Fahrenheit. other wise we wash and blow them out immediately. The calves that have the hair naturally thick usually don't mind.

paj315

We used to wash in the cold as long as the hose wasnt frozen no matter how cold it was. Seemed to bother us more than the calves. Since those days we have built a wash room and insulated it and put a small heater in there. We can now wash or rinse no matter how cold it is .

andholl

I have washed while it is cold enough the ice gathers on their ears before i'm done working hair.    ;D Just make sure you dry it well!

okiegirl

Last winter at the Ada, Ok show it was so cold, the washracks were full of icicles.

Heifer Girl

We wash in cold weather and have no problem with it. Just have them blown right away.