Capiche Calf Pictures

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

trevorgreycattleco said:
I can promise you A&T is tough place for a cow. Especially last year.

Isn't a char bull suppose to blow away the growth of a shorthorn or at least beat it soundly? I don't think any animal could get 1000 ww in northwest Nebraska. 600 lb ww there equals 750 or more here in the eastern salad bowl. 

I wasn't meaning to compare the two just meant in an environment where a Capiche calf weans 600+, some high growth genetics would have some serious potential.  I've only weaned a few calves over 700 my entire life using what I'd consider high growth terminal bulls.  On grass and milk, 600 is a hell of weaning weight regardless where youre located. 

My uncle owns the capiche heifer that savaged had. She is bred to rocky balboa and due to calve march 14 she looks like she is going to make a great cow. I will try to get some pics soon we i bring her in to calve

KSanburg

I bred 10 Hereford heifers to Capiche and calved them a year ago birth weights averaged 78 pounds. I did not breed any this year, I was pretty disappointed in them as they just didn't keep up with my other calves through the summer and we we extremely dry as was most of the country. But when I weight them on September 18th I was shocked 6 heifers averaged 638 and the 4 heifers averaged 662. Not bad for first calf heifers on poor pasture.

Now my daughter kept one of the steer calves to show, and I wasn't real excited about him to start off with but now at 970 pounds he is really looking good, I do think he will finish early and will have to be held at around 1200 but right now he would be tough in a jackpot.

I doubt that I ever use Capiche again but his calves were better than some of the Angus bulls that I have used in the past on my heifers.

Doc

-XBAR- said:
He's small and doesn't come close to covering his tracks.  If you're getting 600+ 210 day weights out of him, my char bulls would wean 1000 out there.  600 is a good bit over ntl avg for ww.  Your environment must not be as 'bad' as I thought.
You are right that he is fairly small. About a 5 frame. But as far as not covering he tracks you are wrong . Saw him person yesterday at Luke Bowmans. The joker was running up and down some hills and on flat ground and was covering his tracks very well. He was still out on pasture and was in great shape. Luke said he was fixing to go back into stud. Said they still sell a pot load of semen to commercial cattlemen.

RyanChandler

Doc said:
-XBAR- said:
He's small and doesn't come close to covering his tracks.  If you're getting 600+ 210 day weights out of him, my char bulls would wean 1000 out there.  600 is a good bit over ntl avg for ww.  Your environment must not be as 'bad' as I thought.
You are right that he is fairly small. About a 5 frame. But as far as not covering he tracks you are wrong . Saw him person yesterday at Luke Bowmans. The joker was running up and down some hills and on flat ground and was covering his tracks very well. He was still out on pasture and was in great shape. Luke said he was fixing to go back into stud. Said they still sell a pot load of semen to commercial cattlemen.
http://youtu.be/CFEhxYFEiA8