Carhartt "hands" commercials - what a joke

Help Support Steer Planet:

xxcc

unless i'm missing something and something changed...GAG ME WITH A SPOON!

have you seen the new Carhart commercials?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGlhmoXQLdM

look at the tag on a piece of Carhartt clothing!  When's the last time you've seen something made by Carhartt that was right here in the US.  what a crock!  I hope the Hopi are right...a great cleansing.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

46ef4ab96c.jpg

garybob

Welcome to free trade, and, a global economy....Let's have some positive discussion, both sides of the debate, please. And leave racism out. By the way, PLEASE SPELL CORRECTLY. If we want the nonagricultural person to take us serioulsly, we need to be able to communicate effectively.

That being said, I must refrain from referring to a group of esteemed individuals such as yourselves as " Y'uns".

;)GB

SheilAnneDavis

Was just shopping for insulated bib coveralls the other day and the Carhartt in the right size had stitching coming out and falling apart in the store. I ended up going with another brand, kind of a disappointing since I love my jacket (w USA on the tag) that I've had for years.

RidinHeifer

They are probably going to be like Justin boots. A few years ago Justin started to do part of their stuff in foriegn countries and part of it in the us. The quality showed...you had to shop for a week to find the usa boots that would last. FYI they still do it so the ones that aren't usa made suck! Last for a couple weeks and then there toes the stitching

chambero

How many of you encourage your kids to pursue careers in low-paying, textile jobs?

My mom used to work in a sewing factory a long time ago.  She quit because it was too hard and she could make more money doing something else that wasn't as hard.

The problem, if it is a problem, isn't anybody's fault except every single one of us. 

If we had to keep these kinds of jobs in the U.S. and pay people what they could make doing other, more difficult jobs requiring more education, our shirts/pants/coats would cost us a lot more.  And then we wouldn't have as much discretionary income to spend on very important things like show steers.

AAOK

chambero said:
How many of you encourage your kids to pursue careers in low-paying, textile jobs?

My mom used to work in a sewing factory a long time ago.  She quit because it was too hard and she could make more money doing something else that wasn't as hard.

The problem, if it is a problem, isn't anybody's fault except every single one of us. 

If we had to keep these kinds of jobs in the U.S. and pay people what they could make doing other, more difficult jobs requiring more education, our shirts/pants/coats would cost us a lot more.  And then we wouldn't have as much discretionary income to spend on very important things like show steers.

Absolutely True Chambero!  We have only ourselves to blame!  We continually demand LOWER & LOWER PRICES!  I was in the Dry Goods business for 28 years; the first and only Carhartt dealer south of Kansas for about 10 years.  I remember in the 1970s the first time I bought some western shirts made in Japan.  NOBODY would buy them, even though the quality was equal and the price 25% less.  How many can remember when EVERYTHING in Walmart was made in the USA?  There are only two ways to cut prices; 1. Eliminate waste, or 2. Pay lower wages.  The United States of America is light years ahead of the world manufacturers in Continuous Improvement implementation, but that will only take you so far. 

If you want a USA made Carhartt jacket, all you have to do is convince the rest of the country it's worth at least $100, because that sewing job will have to pay $20/hr.

chambero

AAOK - my company won the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award this year.  Since you mentioned CI I thought you might have an appreciation for that.  I was pretty heavily involved in the effort.

brick hollow

Seems to me that NAFTA and other free trade agreements have been a bad deal for the U.S. We have become a nation of consumers instead of producers! Sad to say most of the industry has left us. We have outsourced most of our jobs. Now our nation is faced with high unemployment? I am not sure it takes a rocket scientist to figure this out! If we send all our factories overseas, our jobs leave with them!

MorMad

Let's be honest with ourselves. We are a society of instant gratification. We want it quick, cheap, and replaceable. Customer service is dead and we just want what we think we want in the moment.

All industry in China is backed and compensated by the government. The labor there is 10% of the labor here. We are no longer a Nation of producers but a nation of consumers. We alll have ourselves to blame including me. If we all supported quality long lasting products then we would have Manufacturing still in America.

brick hollow

Mormad,  quick, cheap, and replaceable seems to be the only option we have these days. I feel we as a nation are headed in the wrong direction. We are losing our values and morals. I enjoy a bargin as well as the next fellow, but I would pay a little extra knowing that i I was buying something made in the US as opposed to some foreign land. You get what you pay for!

chambero

Its not a matter of paying a little extra, its a matter of being willing to pay a lot extra. 

We do still make a lot of things in the US - things that not just anyone can make- things that take brains and resources.  Agriculture falls into that category.  Much of the heavy machinery in the world is made here.  Computer equipment.  Planes.  Petrochemicals.  Pharmaceuticals.  We are still leaders in the hard things.

We do waste too much. 

I won't shop at WalMart.  That's my one stand against low cost.  I hate what they've done to small businesses for the sake of cost reduction.

xxcc

garybob said:
Welcome to free trade, and, a global economy....Let's have some positive discussion, both sides of the debate, please. And leave racism out. By the way, PLEASE SPELL CORRECTLY. If we want the nonagricultural person to take us serioulsly, we need to be able to communicate effectively.

That being said, I must refrain from referring to a group of esteemed individuals such as yourselves as " Y'uns".

;)GB
excuse me?  your argument almost looks like it belongs in a different post.  racism? mispelling? what in the hell are you talking about? oh...you are right. I forgot one 't' on Carhartt in one spot.  I'm not sure what you are getting at, but quite frankly, your response is one of the most ignorant rebuttals I've heard in some time.  ::)

AAOK

chambero said:
AAOK - my company won the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award this year.  Since you mentioned CI I thought you might have an appreciation for that.  I was pretty heavily involved in the effort.

Wow!  Congratulations!  How many years of CI before the MB application?  And, is your company committed to the tasks of CI?

I went through Cancer treatment this year in OKC at the first medical center in the USA to be awarded the MBQA.  That was, I believe, 13 years ago.  Now, their scheduling and  out patient correspondence is abhorable.

nobody

xxcc said:
garybob said:

;)GB
excuse me?  your argument almost looks like it belongs in a different post.  racism? mispelling? what in the hell are you talking about? oh...you are right. I forgot one 't' on Carhartt in one spot.  I'm not sure what you are getting at, but quite frankly, your response is one of the most ignorant rebuttals I've heard in some time.  ::)
I think that was to me because I had a type o in Vietnam. I think there are just some things that should be made here.  For example our flag should not be made in another country, and neither should The Future Farmers of America jackets.  That is my opinion and it is not racist. If you think that is racist then why stop there? Do you think it's racist because someone will not buy clothes,tools,etc manufactured in other countries? I don't. It's a choice. A choice we have because of someone elses' sacrifice. And "seriously" he might want to check his own spelling. People in glass houses....

garybob

Bump!

2times!

My short finger ( from a work accident, here in the USA, producing American Poultry Products ) gets me in trouble on the keyboard, at times. Thank you for your attention to detail. Could the moderators add "spell check" to the list of available functions on SP?  <rock>

GB

kfacres

garybob said:
Bump!

2times!

My short finger ( from a work accident, here in the USA, producing American Poultry Products ) gets me in trouble on the keyboard, at times. Thank you for your attention to detail. Could the moderators add "spell check" to the list of available functions on SP?  <rock>

GB
it's already there.. ;)