castrating persistant problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

ia girl

We have a steer that was castrated the 10th of October.  He had larger testicles then the other bull calves(Feb calf).  Since this time we have had the vet down estimated 8 times for his sack swelling up with the swelling going down into the sheath area. In the sack area it looks at this time like he has a bag--very painfull to the touch. The tract area will swell from sack to sheath with the sheath becoming 6-8 inches long.  He runs a temp of over 103, but does eat and drink through all this.  Vet has kind of came to a "not sure what to do now" thought.    Has anyone else experienced this problem??  Just need some opinions on this issue.  (next year we are banding)

BadgerFan

I've got two farms I keep cattle at, about 3.5 hrs apart.  I was busy one year and couldn't make it up to the one place to cut calves so hired the vet to do it.  That year we had one do exactly as you're discribing.  I treated that sucker every other day for weeks.  He looked like crap and lost weight. Finally one day as I sorted him off to run to the chute it ruptured open and out came the grossest looking blood and puss mixture I'd ever seen.  I thought he was going to die, but after that the calf was fine.  He finished fine and cut a nice carcass. If the vet doesn't know what to do, I'd keep treating him and hope for the best.

By the way, banding is NOT the way to go.  With good sanitation (this is HUGE) and someone that knows what they're doing with a knife calves don't even miss a beat.  I like to knife cut while they're still on the cows and put them back with mama.  Give some penicillin and some fly spray and I rarely have issue.

ia girl

The vet has recut the sack open twice.  The first time it was definitely infection--yukky, smelly.....  The second time he got out a couple of huge clots but not much else.  Poor calf has had more shots--gonna have one tough neck.  The sack seems to swell more on the right side up under his leg.  Poor guy,  I really feel bad for him.  It does drain some here and there but seems maybe since weather has gotta so cold he may be rubbing it on the ground.

ejoe326

We have had a few over the years but it is pretty rare.  The last one this year was because it was brand new and too sharp.

What is the vet having you do after he/she leaves?  What kind of antibiotic has he/she been using?

The one this fall did about the same thing as yours except he did go off feed when the temp hit 104.  We did not open it back up but got in there and cleaned it all out.  Then tons and tons of iodine.  At some point opening it back up each time is going to cause more problems.

We also used a ton of dex and banamine along with NuFlor and pen.  All per our vet and followed his dosing instructions.  He swelled back up for the 3rd time and we ended up using Baytril and pen.  It took a while but he came around and was fine to sell.

Does he run the temp most of the time?

ia girl

He has had all of the above meds that u had used.  Had iodine flushes.  We have not given him any penicillin, I don't think.  Do you think we should bother weighing him in for the county fair?  How long did it take for your calf to get better??

CAB

How far you located from ISU in Ames? It may be worth taking him up for a visit and get another opinion. I think that it may need to be opened up in a location further down his sheath, but I think that you need another vet's opinion.

BTW, if you decide to band your calves there is nothing wrong with your choice. I have banded calves for 30 plus years and it achieves the same result when done properly. I have also used a knife on a bunch of calves over the years and have gotten along well that way. Either way, you are going to have issues every once in a while.

RyanChandler

What sticks out to me is someone saying they treated him "every other day."    Quality antibiotics have much longer half lifes.  Quality antibiotics will be once a week (minimum) administration. 

Give that calf a BIG shot of Nuflor or Baytril and I guarantee you it kicks that infection.    So many people dabble around w/ the cheap bs antibiotics that are just trash.  Like taking Tylenol for a broken arm. 

ejoe326

I agree a 2nd opinion would be a good idea.  Something keeps that infection coming back. 

Our calf took about 2 weeks after the last swelling temp spike before I liked the way he acted and ate all of the time.  He was not off feed the entire 2 weeks but had times when he just didn't look very good.

Did your vet have you giving the pen every day? How about the dex? Is he currently swollen up through his sheath?  Is it possible the dosing is not right and he might weigh more than you think?  Have you tried anything like Sustain boluses?

ia girl

We contacted another vet yesterday.  He said to give in Penicilin (short acting) for 5 days straight the everyother day for a week.  Plus some Bantamine everyother day during this course.      The calf had already received bolus pills. 

Latest posts