Cattle Barn

Help Support Steer Planet:

jsuhr

Has anybody on here gotten out of the dairy business and converted a tie stall barn into a beef cattle facility, or has heard of any ideas to do so? Just trying to see what we could do to our old dairy barn, rather than just letting it sit empty. We use the sheds and lean-to's but just curious as to how other people have went about this. Anything and everything is appreciated!

leanbeef

I would suggest you call your county extension agent and see if he could come out and visit with you. Or check with your local co-op or animal supply store and find out if they have a livestock handling equipment rep who would come out and take a look at your existing facility and make suggestions. You want somebody who knows cattle and has designed or seen a lot of different set ups. This is kinda like remodeling a house...somebody who can see past what is there now and can imagine how things could work with modifications...

I'm getting ready to do some remodeling of a barn and corrals that were designed for horses. I've been managing this farm and working with the existing set up for the past 2 1/2 years...I've been able to make it work, but it's time to make some changes. You want somebody who has lots of ideas to physically come to your place and actually see what you have to work with.

Good luck!

Ohio1

Don't know where your located but I would also recommend looking at barns in your area and seeing what you like/ don't like to make it how you need! Good luck