Cattle Flushing Costs

Help Support Steer Planet:

ValenteRanching

Well it seems like there are alot of people on this site who are flushing cows and or buying and implanting embryo's. I was wondering what everyone's cost is per cow per flush.

It seem's kind of pricey to implant 3 club calf embryo's at say 250 an egg with 1 calf being born. You would have to get an extra 750$ for that calf to just pay for the embryo's. Thats not including the cost of the vet or calculating for the 2 calves from the other 2 recipients that will be born later and be smaller come sale time.

Am I even close to how this is working out, or is there something im not quite figuring. I see it happening alot in the states and I also see alot of really high priced cattle sales down there where this could be a very viable thing to do. I guess maybe with our calf market around here it just wont work out. Most of our calves just sell at the auction barn and a few might go to 4H projects but nothing selling really for more then 850$.

Any information would be great, Thanks alot! Chad.

farmboy

ValenteRanching said:
Well it seems like there are alot of people on this site who are flushing cows and or buying and implanting embryo's. I was wondering what everyone's cost is per cow per flush.

It seem's kind of pricey to implant 3 club calf embryo's at say 250 an egg with 1 calf being born. You would have to get an extra 750$ for that calf to just pay for the embryo's. Thats not including the cost of the vet or calculating for the 2 calves from the other 2 recipients that will be born later and be smaller come sale time.

Am I even close to how this is working out, or is there something im not quite figuring. I see it happening alot in the states and I also see alot of really high priced cattle sales down there where this could be a very viable thing to do. I guess maybe with our calf market around here it just wont work out. Most of our calves just sell at the auction barn and a few might go to 4H projects but nothing selling really for more then 850$.

Any information would be great, Thanks alot! Chad.

there is a search function. its been covered. extensively

BCCC

If you are just selling county fair calves at 850 a piece it would be hard to make ET a viable cost efficient option. Normally ET is done on high quality donor cows to sell more expensive calves.

Bulldaddy

By  the time you figure flush costs and recip costs it runs about $1,500 per calf per weaned calf  so they have to be exceptional to justify the expense.

ValenteRanching

Thanks everyone, didn't realize there was a search function. I searched the site and found a TON of information. Wish we had more of a market for club calves around BC here. Does anyone know of any consignment sales in The northwest states or anything like that?

TMJ Show Cattle

I'm not sure where he lives or his phone number,but it can be found from the powers that bear arms here on SP. If you have some serious club calf prospects,you might need to contact fellow Canadian RAYMOND GONNETT [spelling?] He goes by Steerjockey on SP. I'm sure someone with more info can help.

farmboy

TMJ Show Cattle said:
I'm not sure where he lives or his phone number,but it can be found from the powers that bear arms here on SP. If you have some serious club calf prospects,you might need to contact fellow Canadian RAYMOND GONNETT [spelling?] He goes by Steerjockey on SP. I'm sure someone with more info can help.

seconded. Seems like he moves a lot of good cattle all across the country.

ValenteRanching

zach said:
TMJ Show Cattle said:

seconded. Seems like he moves a lot of good cattle all across the country.

Thanks alot guys, I'll look into it next summer if we have anything real good running around.

flatwoodscattle

Living in Florida I use a man who implants the embryo for $250 60 days guaranteed or you don't pay. On flushing he charges $150 set up and $25 per embryo he freezes.