cattle trailer modification suggestions

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

Curious if there are any modifications that people have made to their aluminum trailers that have helped when showing cattle?  After a search I did find a bracket for hanging stall dividers on the outside of the trailer that looked like it would work.  Current trlr has lights, not LED, in the stock box section along with sliding cut gates, tie rail.....basic factory add on stuff.  Looking to add roof air, walk through door from tack to stock area, awning and possible step to tack area.  We have never talked to anyone with an Exterior hay rack over the roof.  Q - are they worth the investment or more pain than bang?  This will be a "budget permitting" kind of deal.  Any functional add-ons/ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

Tallcool1

coachmac said:
Curious if there are any modifications that people have made to their aluminum trailers that have helped when showing cattle?  After a search I did find a bracket for hanging stall dividers on the outside of the trailer that looked like it would work.  Current trlr has lights, not LED, in the stock box section along with sliding cut gates, tie rail.....basic factory add on stuff.  Looking to add roof air, walk through door from tack to stock area, awning and possible step to tack area.  We have never talked to anyone with an Exterior hay rack over the roof.  Q - are they worth the investment or more pain than bang?  This will be a "budget permitting" kind of deal.  Any functional add-ons/ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Blocking Chute mounts on the outside of the trailer are really nice. They save so much space on the inside!

farmmom73

I would also love to hear some suggestions on trailer modifications.  I like the idea of getting my grooming chute outside...anyone have pictures of theirs so I can tell husband how to make the brackets??

Show Dad

I have an exterior hay rack and love it on my Elite trailer. I have hauled hay, generators, panels and a grooming chute to a show up there. I have also hauled back bags of wood chips after one too. (OK, I have to admit that I hang with a very thrifty bunch).

SD
<alien>

coachmac

I have kicked around the idea of mounting chutes on the outside of the trlr.  Not sure that it would work the best with an eight foot trlr.  Afraid that it would leave a pretty big hangover (more than 8'6).  Also thought about an exterior rear mounted chute.  nothing drawn up though. 
SD - top side storage sounds pretty good.  you see more equine rigs than cattle rigs with that set up but it sure looks functional.  The floor of your rack.  Is it solid?  Thinking that a salvage reefer floor or pot trailer floor would work with Aluminum legs for bracing.  Believe me, thrifty is a lifestyle that I subscribe too!  lol 

Latest posts