Cattle water made from large old tires

Help Support Steer Planet:

sue

Harwoods have this tire system to water cattle. Jerry Lindquist is a huge promoter of this ( msu extension) .

CCW

I've heard they don't freeze as bad because the black tire stays warmer (soaks up more sun) than a cold steel tank. Also buddy of mine bumps his tire tank with his tractor to break ice and never gets out of the cab.

SEA

I've heard that you can just dump redi-mix (any brand i.e. Sakrete, etc.) concrete straight from the bag into the center of the tire up to the bead.  Kind of pile it up or cone shape it, and fill the tire with water.  Make sure you keep the concrete covered with water for a few days and your all good.  No need to even mix concrete with water first.  Takes approx. eight (8) bags on a 6-8 footer.

Anyone done or seen this?

GoWyo

I poured one a few years ago where I let it cure overnight and filled it the next day.  Concrete did not shrink away from the rim when it cured.  This was the way I had heard to do it.

showpappy

Heard of a lot of peole use these tires for waterers. Sounds like they last forever. Do you have to put something across the top to keep the cattle from getting in them?

HAB

SEA said:
I've heard that you can just dump redi-mix (any brand i.e. Sakrete, etc.) concrete straight from the bag into the center of the tire up to the bead.  Kind of pile it up or cone shape it, and fill the tire with water.  Make sure you keep the concrete covered with water for a few days and your all good.  No need to even mix concrete with water first.  Takes approx. eight (8) bags on a 6-8 footer.

Anyone done or seen this?

I have never done it that way, we poured ours in wet, then filled it with water, right away.

ai er

We poured ours one evening, let it set overnight, let the water in the next day.  It was worked great for going on 6 years.  I have pictures somewhere, I'll have to look.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Back here we use submersible wells to water most of the small pastures an some of the pastures .....In our home pens used for in the winter a 8 ft tank an a good sumersible system you can water a lot of cattle an not have much trouble with ice,an like they say they hold heat so much better than steel.... closes thing to them is used Harvestore rings ,they are also indestructible but freeze over worst than the tires .....I'm not sure how long they will last these heavy tires from the coal mines will last longer than i'll be around .....

knabe

http://www.giantrubberwatertanks.com/

just thought i would ttt this thread.  it's pretty cool.  around here, most people are buying the prefab cement one's.  i guess the only problem with them is finding a float that will stay open and stay closed when they are supposed to as usual.

a friend of mine said when he started practicing cell grazing, he became a plumber instead of a cowboy.

ZNT

We put one in a year ago and live it. We used a 4 foot diameter flotation tire, and works great. No more bulls destroying tanks.

Lucky_P

We've put in 10-12 of these over the last 2-3 years.  Almost every paddock has one; still need to put in about 3 or 4 more, and I'll be done.
Water is supplied via gravity flow from a deep hillside pond well above all the pastures.
Cut out one sidewall with a sawzall - don't try to cut through the bead!
We opted not to pour concrete, in the event I needed to move one, or replace any of the piping - I dig and set my riser pipe, fill in up to the bead with pea gravel, then cut a piece of rubber truck-bed liner mat to fit over the rim-hole and riser, run a thick bead of silicone caulk between tire sidewall and mat, then screw it down with galvanized/painted roofing screws and a screw gun - screws about 2-3 inches apart.
A.Y. McDonald float valve finishes it off.

Ag tire and ag spray folks will usually give the tires away - otherwise they have to pay a hefty disposal fee. In my experience, they're glad for you to haul 'em away.