Chapter Angus Herd Bull Suggestions

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

I think the best approach is to use bulls that represent ideal themselves rather than attempting to overcompensate with fire and Ice matings in hopes at arriving in the middle. You guys know Angus better than me but suggesting a 90+lb bw bull who is promoted as being 'massive' is not the route I'd go on a herd whose foundation is grounded in calving ease genetics. 

Mark H

None of the bulls NYK or I have suggested are extreme in birth weight with Birth weight EPDS that range from +1 to +3.  My old neighbor a mult-generational purebred Angus breeder had a 3,000 LB bull with a + 7 BWT EPD.  A very good bull; his sons sold very well with functional daughters.  That is the sort of bull I wouldn't use here due to size and calving ease concerns. That said the bull you are going to use has to have the traits you want in great enough abundance to get you where you want to go or you will have no genetic progression.  I ti s a balancing act and the best thing to me is to use a performance bull with reasonable birthweight to break the calving ease bull vicious circle.

cowboy_nyk

I would have touch of concern breeding a "calving ease" herd to Xcaliber unless, like Mark said, the herd management is on point.  He does have a lot more bone than many other sire lines.  The VRD and Upward suggestions were made with the thought that most of their BW comes from length as opposed to massive bone. The HF Kodiak/Tiger bloodlines are stout made but very short gestation. They both would help increase overall growth and stature while the risk for calving difficulties would be lower.  The bulls Xbar suggested would be a perfect fit on the younger cows and heifers to move in the right direction but at a more measured pace.

But, all of this being said I think we are wasting our time.  No replies from the OP so we're giving ourselves advice....

GoWyo

Didn't waste my time.  Appreciate everyone's comments and learned a few things in the process.  Is Young Dale Xcaliber semen available in the USA?

cowboy_nyk

GoWyo said:
Didn't waste my time.  Appreciate everyone's comments and learned a few things in the process.  Is Young Dale Xcaliber semen available in the USA?
I believe it is. Canadian Sires carries it here but it is hard to get.  Flesch Angus won the pen show in Denver last year with a pen of them.  I am pretty sure they have a son in the Accelerated Genetics book.