chopper

Help Support Steer Planet:

farwest

Any opinions from those who saw him.  Please control yourself rsc

Dusty

I thought he was really moderate and really soggy for a simi.  He looks like something you could put on a crossed up female and get a decent female out of.

dmo102

One of the best profiling bull in the yards. I was a little disapointed when I got behind him though

farwest

Something that concerned me about the chopper bull is this. I liked the bull. But where are all the other good ones out of steel force.  He had to be used in great cows and great herds. They dug chopper out of a small non reputable herd in Nebraska. Not taking any thing away from the breeder.  Congratulations to him. I may use the bull. But its almost like us this the best they could do out of all the hype on steel force. Maybe most people just storing the semen. Thinking it will be valuable. I don't know

CJC

At $235 (Steel Force) a straw. I don't think you are going find to many poor people using it. $100 is as high as I will go. Not saying that I'm cheap; that' just a lot of money to lose in one pop if the cow doesn't take the first time.

GLZ

farwest said:
Something that concerned me about the chopper bull is this. I liked the bull. But where are all the other good ones out of steel force.  He had to be used in great cows and great herds. They dug chopper out of a small non reputable herd in Nebraska. Not taking any thing away from the breeder.  Congratulations to him. I may use the bull. But its almost like us this the best they could do out of all the hype on steel force. Maybe most people just storing the semen. Thinking it will be valuable. I don't know

It just is an continues to be a fantastic marketing campaign.  i know of two sons of his that have sold.  One being Chopper for the 1/3 interest for 62,500.  The other was Iron Man that sold on the Pine Ridge sale down in Georgia.  Solid enough bull, but as you said great cows and great herds.  Iron Man sold for $6000.  Other than that you find a few nice heifers at different sales, but nothing that I have seen has caused me to want to drop $250-$300 a straw on anything.

farwest

I think chopper is probably a good bull for females.  But it still makes me acratch my head why a great one wasn't raised by the people who are normally involved in the exposure sale

kfacres

I love him from the side.... Especailly for a PB Simmi....  Like most people, had to look away and close my eyes when I got behing him...  Wasn't much there... Enough Said..

CAB

I think that you have to remember that you are not looking @ a bull that wasn't bred to sire steers. It's like apples and oranges. Of the PPL that have seen him it is pretty evenly split 1/2 & 1/2 as far as to whether he is good enough. I hope that he freezes excellent quality semen and I get a chance put use him to make some cows. We'll see.
  Brad I haven't seen your Star Power bull yet, but I think that you made the right decision by keeping him home. Those little fuzz ball lover's, ( myself being one of them ) are hard to impress. LOL. Brent

CJC

You are correct CAB we tend to forget that the Meyer 734 bloodline is for maternal traits.

chambero

Not to beat a dead horse, but when I saw him at home he was sure thick enough relative to the IW's and other black bulls Griswold had.  But I'm sure the Heat Waves he must have stood close to at Denver made him look a little on the narrow side.

We raise hell about bulls not being structurally correct for the sake of being too muscled, then raise hell about one that everyone thinks looked great everywhere but just isn't good enough in the rear end.

Dusty

I thought he was carrying plenty of cover.  I would like to see him in pasture shape.  And I think part of the problem is that he didn't look like a typical simmy..Take that as good or bad....

CAB

How old is Chopper? Will he be more likely to get some good semen in the tank early? Scrotal circumference? Brent

kfacres

O don't get me wrong, Chopper is a bull who is going to help the breed, but I would be careful using him on a narrow one...  I know no bull is perfect, but that's my fault on him..  Someone asked for an opinion, I gave one

JSchroeder

I tried to embed the code but the forum is smart and didn't allow it, the video is posted.

Any way, chambero is right on as usual.  Any bull across from Lautner is going to look light boned and a bit narrow.  However, bone and muscle are what you look for in the bulls you breed to a bull like Chopper's daughters, not Chopper himself.