cidr question.

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

a buddy of mine called me today and asked me a question that puzzled me. i have always done the 7 day cidr, but i neve time breed. (personal opinion. i dont like wasting semen if i dont see a standong heat). anyhow he cidred a group the other day and had 3 not come in. he called and asked me what to do and I said you can time breed or just wait another cycle for a natural heat. But then he said he read where with the 7 day cidr the cows can actually come in anywhere from day 7 to day 13????? day 10 is where you usually time breed. has anyone ever had any cows come in from dayy 11-13???? kind of puzzled me because i usually stop watching after day 10 and i couldnt give him a good answer after that

BadgerFan

Absolutely they can come in from days 7-13.  The Select Synch + CIDR & TAI protocol goes out to day 10 (72 hrs post prostaglandin) because at that point you give GnRH and time breed.  It's a hybrid protocol that involves heat detection and a cleanup time breeding on non-responders.  Works well.  However, if you're not watching them past 72 hrs you're missing heats and without the GnRH and time breed you're giving up the opportunity to get cows bred.  In my opinion, semen is cheap compared to 21 days of lost calf age and one less chance at an AI calf.

FriedgesCharolais

I am currently having the same problem at my place. Same protocol and they are now 10 days past pulling the cidr and 0/3 have shown heat. I have estrotect patches on all three of them so I know I haven't missed them. Tonight I am running them back through the chute and giving them all another shot of Lut. Hopefully they will all come in this time!

rackranch

I would AI all non responders and give a shot of GnRH 60 hours after pulling the CIDR no matter what.  You should get about half of the non responders that way.

Latest posts