Clean up bull and Herd Sire?

Help Support Steer Planet:

wolfe0322

When someone on SP refers to a " good clean up bull " what are they refering to? What are the differances if any in a herd sire.Thanks for any responses. <cowboy>

knabe

to me, herd sire always means same breed.  clean-up bull can mean different things like using a different breed bull, such as in the old days, a chi bull to clean up the missed or later/longer cycling females so that you could tell the difference visually, or so the later born calves could "catch up" with a higher growth curve so you could sale all your calves as one "consistent" lot.  others could be herefords on angus or vice versa for clean-up.  clean-up to me, meaning making sure you got a calf, even if it was late so you didn't have to sell open females, at least you got a calf out of them, and would just cull them for their interval.

carl s.

Herd bull - You're willing to admit the calves are out of him.

Clean up bull - You lie and say the calves are AI sired.

frostback

Clean up bull just gets cows pregnant.
Herd bull is a bull you keep all or most of the daughters out of and make a herd or program out of. That is where the term Jr. herdsire comes into play also.

farmboy

carl s. said:
Herd bull - You're willing to admit the calves are out of him.

Clean up bull - You lie and say the calves are AI sired.

i think its the other way around. put a good calf next to an equally as good a calf

name one a heatwave and name the other one jo schmoe herd bull. see which one sells first.

afhm

normally the difference is price.  Most will pay nore for a bull to be a herd sire, a bull bought with the intentions of using instead of a.i.

kfacres

IMO the herd sire is the bull you'd breed all of your cows to, and not even think about AI'ing...  He's the one who'd make the better calves anyways...

The clean-up bull is just that... not good enough to do anything but cleanup on the AI'd ones...  And hope you were running 100% conception, and he doesn't breed anything... 

If I'm selling a bull, I'd better hope he'd be more than just 'cleanup' status.... 

knabe

Freddy said:
Sometimes the cleanup bulls are pretty good, I know a guy in Kansas that leases bulls from Lautner to cleanup behind his AI an they might have 80 to 100 head in with them but most of them were AI'ED....ONCE...

i'd venture to say that lautner does this more than people realize.

i wonder what the health requirements/insurance he has to lease out these bulls, say a clone got trich or something, wonder what would happen.

aj

The larger herds tend to have a herd sire beyond the ai program. I assume a herd of 4 cows or whatever find it not economical to have  a better back up bull.jmo