CLIPPER KING OF USA x3263572 TH-C

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

Very good explanation JIT. Makes sense without doubt.
One question, that you mentioned as well, why Clare Man, as bought an outcroos bull, produced only Improver...this is a point....maybe other calves show abnormalities and were culled at that time.
I think that a philogenetic study with Improver, Irish lines, Galloways and other breeds can to be run. We found many scientific papers on web that use this kind of genetic test to check introgression on many breeds. I think that Dr. Beever is able to run it as he was able to check TH throught tests.
Maybe a deep philogenetic test can explain some things on the breed. If breed will wish to be tested and clear some "doubts" that can bring light to rumours and expose "names"...well, this is another history.
Good topic...good read about recent history to get answers for actual problems...will not solve it, possibly, but we will stop to make theories.

aj

Wasn't there an outcast mutation along with the Improver mutation for th. Which one is clipper king?

Okotoks

aj said:
Wasn't there an outcast mutation along with the Improver mutation for th. Which one is clipper king?
Is it possible it's a separate mutation?

Dale

I have no idea if this is a separate mutation, but those who are serious about breeding (especially selling breeding stock to anyone) need to test and sell only clean ones for breeding.  The "free by pedigree" is not enough evidence for me to want to purchase either semen or an animal from a person who will not take the time and expense necessary to see if an animal is a carrier for a testable genetic recessive.  This impacts the bottom line, but delaying testing certainly could cost more in the long run.  Testing becomes a lot more expensive once a person uses a carrier bull, since half the offspring carry the dirty gene.  With TH we were not using a walking bull (carrier) when the test came out, so it was not 50% of our young cows like the DS is.