clipping and fitting fees

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

Tallcool1 said:
5PCC said:
I have to say that this comment…

“Just my opinion, but if our family couldn't do the job (Sports, Livestock, Academics, etc), we would not participate. Clipping & Fitting is not that hard to master. All it takes is patience and imagination. Winning a big show with a Calf you bred and fit is SO MUCH MORE rewarding!”

neither answers my question, nor is it helpful to me. It is, however, a PRIME EXAMPLE of why I am more and more hesitant to ask questions on steerplanet.

Here’s the deal…Although it has been 20 plus years since I showed, I am NO DUMMY in the show ring. I have shown in 12 different states. My brother, sister, and I have won MANY of the major shows…Denver, Louisville, Iowa State Fair, National Jr Heifer Show, etc. with our Chianina and Maine-Anjou heifers. Then my parents went through a particularly nasty divorce when I was in high school, and all of a sudden we didn’t show cattle anymore. I was heartbroken because I loved showing cattle!

When I showed, kids were not as actively involved in clipping and fitting the calves as they are today, but that doesn’t mean that we did not work our tails off! We were up early before school to do chores, and up late to do chores after basketball or football practice and homework. We didn’t sleep in during the summer like our friends did, and we didn’t just hang out at the pool all day like our friends did. We were in the barn most of the day, every day!

My Mom, brother, sister, and I were good at fitting the body and doing the tails. Dad was one of the best around at trimming the hooves, and he did some basic clipping at home. But the majority of the clipping and all of the fitting of the legs were done by our personal fitter.

My kids have shown for a few years now. We started slow because I wanted them to understand the commitment that it takes to do it right.

It is hard to start over as a nobody when you were once on top, but I am giving it a try. To be honest, the show world is not always welcoming to a new show family. Most often (but not always) nobody wants to share their secrets for growing hair, feed rations, where to buy a good show animal or breeding stock, etc. Someone either has to figure things out for themselves along the way, or be lucky enough to find a mentor family (probably someone that they have purchased a few calves from) to show them the ropes.

I break the calves myself until they are tame enough for the kids to work with. Then my three kids and I work with the calves every day. My husband’s involvement is limited. He has a lot of other commitments that take up his time, but he is learning more about the show cattle world and starting to spend more time in the barn with us. My Mom also helps us some at shows.

We are starting to go to more shows, and are starting to show at bigger shows. We showed at the Missouri State Fair for the first time this year, and we will also show at the Kansas City Royal this fall.

I took my kids, my mom, and two heifers to a clipping and fitting clinic this spring. We learned a lot, and we are practicing at home. We even fit the calves ourselves at every show this year, except for the State Fair.

The show world has changed some in 20 years. Some of the people are the same, but most of them are new to me, especially since I now live in a different state. There are definitely things that I don’t know (or haven’t learned yet), but I also have talents and skills to bring to our family show team…

I was a very good showperson, even though it has been awhile since I have been in the show ring. I have lots of tips to pass on to my kids so that they can also be successful as a showman/woman. I know how to feed a steer and heifer to the desired condition (as good or better than most), I know how to grow a nice coat of hair, and I KNOW CATTLE. In addition to my past showing experience, my parents owned a sale barn, my step-dad and his brother owned a sale barn, and my step-dad was a fat cattle buyer and fat cattle feeder up until the day that he died. I have learned from people who make a living off of buying and selling various types and kinds of cattle. I know a good one from a bad one, whether it be in the show ring, in the commercial man’s cowherd, or in the feedlot.

We took three calves to the State Fair this year. Our crossbred heifer was third in her class. Our two crossbred steers ended up in the same class. They were third and fourth. I was very pleased with that for our first trip there!

Two of those calves were purchased from a kid who was showing for his last year before he aged out of FFA. He and two of his friends helped us fit all three calves at the State Fair. When I asked him what I owed all of them, he answered with “whatever”. I wanted to be fair when I paid them, and I truly had no idea what someone typically charges for clipping and fitting. Therefore, I asked this question here.

Thank you to those of you who gave me a helpful answer which included a specific dollar amount, or a pizza donation, etc. AND THANK YOU TO TALLCOOL1 AND SIZZLER14 FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

It seems that you and I have a lot in common!

There are shows that you can do all of the fitting at and be just fine.  There are also shows that you better take all the help you can get.  You were showing Crossbred Steers at a State Fair.  You could have easily showed them in the "Chi" or "Maine"...maybe even an "Angus".  You threw those two first year projects right at the fire.  Take the help that you can get, and go on.

For the record, I am going to say that AAOK is not typically the type of person that is going to rub someone the wrong way just for the sake of doing it.  I believe that some of his message may have been lost in context.  I really don't believe that there was any intent to upset you.  I don't blame you for taking the comments the way that you did, but I encourage you to send him a PM and give him a second chance.  On August 23rd, he posted a reply that really explained his point of view and explained that he had not finished his original post.  Just don't be too tough on him, he is a good guy.

And hey, when it gets right down to it, the AAOK team didn't REALLY do it on their own...God helped them.  I am going to pray to God, but I think I will also call Goretska and Bremer.
lmao. Yes!!!! I spit my drink on this one!!

This is all great info!!

Not to hijack this post, but I am in the same boat regarding need some knowledge and training regarding fitting.  Where do you find someone to help/train so I can do this myself??  Do people typically go to farms where they have purchased cattle from?  I have not purchased any outside cows in some years, but maybe I need to!!

Tallcool1

williams_simmental said:
This is all great info!!

Not to hijack this post, but I am in the same boat regarding need some knowledge and training regarding fitting.  Where do you find someone to help/train so I can do this myself??  Do people typically go to farms where they have purchased cattle from?  I have not purchased any outside cows in some years, but maybe I need to!!

The best training comes from the people that you buy your show calves from......providing of course that they know how to clip and fit.  A lot of producers hire out their own clipping and fitting.

Tallcool1 said:
williams_simmental said:
This is all great info!!

This is what I am learning but where do I start when looking?  Is this something that is advertised, or do I just up and ask!  I really want to be as hands on as possible and have a good feel for the clipping part, but all the products are still very foreign to me!! 

The best training comes from the people that you buy your show calves from......providing of course that they know how to clip and fit.  A lot of producers hire out their own clipping and fitting.

Tallcool1

williams_simmental said:
Tallcool1 said:
williams_simmental said:
This is all great info!!

This is what I am learning but where do I start when looking?  Is this something that is advertised, or do I just up and ask!  I really want to be as hands on as possible and have a good feel for the clipping part, but all the products are still very foreign to me!! 

Where are you located?  What are your kids showing...market or breeding cattle? 

Tallcool1 said:
williams_simmental said:
Tallcool1 said:
williams_simmental said:
This is all great info!!

Where are you located?  What are your kids showing...market or breeding cattle?

I am located in KY .... about 25 miles south of Indiana.  About 15 miles south of the Ky Expo Center.  My child is not showing, I am LOL  We raise simmental and have for many years, but I decided I wanted to start showing.  So I am entering the show world as an adult!  I told my husband I need to hire some kids so I can get the all the benefits to having a Jr show our cattle!!