Clipping and Torching

Help Support Steer Planet:

spkauffmann

We are in the process of getting ready for our bull sale. We are clipping heads, tails and sheaths. I was just wondering what a person would charge a head to have it done? We had another seedstock producer ask what we would charge to do his the same way and i was just wondering if anyone knew what they charge a head?

ROAD WARRIOR

This varies from place to place and depends on who is doing it and how much they are doing. If you are just clipping heads, tails and sheeths it would be cheaper than someone that does all of that and torches as well. Mileage, motel, food etc. all have to be figured into the price as well. The range will run from $15 to $40 per head depending on the variables mentioned above. I've done quite a lot of torching of sale cattle over the years and have never felt that it didn't pay for itself plus some when sale day arrived. RW

KCK

If you need the names of a few guys, either to ask them to do it or for prices PM me and I can help you out. Everyone I know says it does make all the difference and is well worth the money in the long run.

spkauffmann

Thanks we do all the clipping and torching but i was just looking at what to charge i heard around that price range. We thought if we provided everything charge about 25-30$ a head does that seem fair?

M Bar

That number is realistic.  You can lower it if they offer someone to push cattle to you and bring them up to the tub.  If you have to push your own and get them out of the pens, you better be around the $30.00 mark.  I used to torch/clip for $15.00/hd, but that was years 20 ago.  Price determination in my opinion goes hand in hand with facilities.  If I am burning outside, in 2 foot of mud/snow, I charge high.  If it is a decent set up with chute, tub, electricity, lights roof/cover and you can get 80 head per day, you can go down on price.  If you know the folks your'e  working for it helps.  Worst one I ever got involved in had us spraying the cattle after burning with some kind of oil that they mounted on a Kirby vacuum cleaner (I kid you not).  Smelled like turpentine and didn't do much good.  Best ones are good facilites, nice helpful owners and good food. 

vcsf

M Bar has an extremely good point about the facilities playing a big role in what to charge.  They deterimine not only how quickly you can get done but also how much help you need and how much wear and tear there is on your body.

jbh

You guys ever have any trouble with your LP tanks getting too cold, causing the pressure of the torch to go to nothing???

Seems like EVERY FALL this happens.......and has NOTHING to do with the amount of LP in the tank.....DRIVES ME NUTS! 

The only way I could figure out to remedy was to keep one tank in the floor board of the pickup with the heater running, and then put an old coat on it once I took it out to switch tanks....

Ever experience this????

ROAD WARRIOR

Facilities are a major factor without a doubt. There is also a tremendous diffderence in chutes as far as being user friendly. I will haul mine to a job if there is not a good chute at the site, it can speed you up or slow you down considerably. I use $25.00 as a base price and adjust from there.
JBH - Yes this time of the year tanks frosting up is a problem. I have used a cheap clamp on heat light and a card board box to keep one warm enough. Also if you are running a generator, you can position the tank in front of the exhaust (not too close!) as well. Standing at a chute all day running a torch and shears when it's 0 is not alot of fun, but neither is standing in mud up to your ankles. RW

vcsf

RW it is not just the speed difference that a good chute makes but also the personal injuries that occur using a poor one (or just one you are not used to)  from those levers or bars that stick out where you don't think they belong.  I know I have a few scars on my body from jumping to try and catch a head while also chasing from behind when there did not seem to be enough help.  I am sure you have the same unless you're just a lot smarter or a lot luckier than me.

ROAD WARRIOR

vcsf said:
RW it is not just the speed difference that a good chute makes but also the personal injuries that occur using a poor one (or just one you are not used to)  from those levers or bars that stick out where you don't think they belong.  I know I have a few scars on my body from jumping to try and catch a head while also chasing from behind when there did not seem to be enough help.  I am sure you have the same unless you're just a lot smarter or a lot luckier than me.
[/quote
]
Nope not smerter, faster or luckier. Lots of scars and a few tattoos <rock> RW

LFI

JBH. Helps some to run without a regulator, also I always drill out the hole in my torch to make it a little hotter. Then we just aim the torch at the tank (at a safe distance of course ;D) while we are clipping and getting another calf in the chute.

jbh

LFI said:
JBH. Helps some to run without a regulator, also I always drill out the hole in my torch to make it a little hotter. Then we just aim the torch at the tank (at a safe distance of course ;D) while we are clipping and getting another calf in the chute.

I don't have a regulator on it....but, which hole on the torch are you drilling out?  I also have aimed the torch at the tank,  but chickened out after a little bit (after my obituary flashed before my eyes).

ROAD WARRIOR

I build my own torches so I'm not sure about the factory ones, but the ones that I build have a 1/32" hole in them. RW

DiamondS

Hubby shoots for $25+.  Got a new fricken truck delivered yesterday and wouldn't you know he took it today to torch bulls....  Well, the new truck smell is gone....  (argue)

ROAD WARRIOR

DiamondS said:
Hubby shoots for $25+.   Got a new fricken truck delivered yesterday and wouldn't you know he took it today to torch bulls....  Well, the new truck smell is gone....   (argue)

Dawn - you really didn't expect anything less did you? ;D RW

DiamondS

ROAD WARRIOR said:
DiamondS said:
Hubby shoots for $25+.  Got a new fricken truck delivered yesterday and wouldn't you know he took it today to torch bulls....  Well, the new truck smell is gone....  (argue)

Dawn - you really didn't expect anything less did you? ;D RW

:-\  No not really....  8)