Clipping Fall Calves for sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

leanbeef

Well, there's laziness...that's just one reason. Then there are people who don't understand how much difference a few minutes clipping can make. People who think it might stress the calves too much and don't want to make them sick. And probably a lot of people who don't have the time, equipment, or expertise to get it done. Some people may not even think about it, or they may think it's not worth the time, effort, or expense. Just a few reasons that come to mind...

DSC

Pretty sure it not what "leanbeef" said. A lot of people believe if they clip them they will shuck their hair. A lot of the traders down south won't buy them if they are clipped, due to they are afraid they will shuck and out and they won't be able to sell them.

leanbeef

Ah...there ya go! I'm not a hair guy or a club calf guy, so I wouldn't have thought of that, but that makes sense for those kind of calves.

GONEWEST

DSC said:
Pretty sure it not what "leanbeef" said. A lot of people believe if they clip them they will shuck their hair. A lot of the traders down south won't buy them if they are clipped, due to they are afraid they will shuck and out and they won't be able to sell them.

That's exactly it. Our end show is in Feb and some of these traders won't let the kids clip the calves after Christmas until now. I think its an old wives tale that they will start shucking hair because they are clipped. You will see some of these calves have their top lines straightened or their throats clipped a little but never their heads. These calves shuck hair down here because the days get longer, not because you clipped the head.

ZNT

GONEWEST said:
DSC said:

That's exactly it. Our end show is in Feb and some of these traders won't let the kids clip the calves after Christmas until now. I think its an old wives tale that they will start shucking hair because they are clipped. You will see some of these calves have their top lines straightened or their throats clipped a little but never their heads. These calves shuck hair down here because the days get longer, not because you clipped the head.

I agree that this is an old wives tale.  I have never noticed calves shucking hair earlier from clipping, but I did have an experience with a northern breeder that slicked the head and neck of the calves before they came down.  That works fine when there is 2-3 more months of winter, but the hair never really grew back once they got to Texas. 

All that being said, I am planning on shearing a few of the calves this week that we are thinking about going to Jr. Nationals with.  Figure I might as well get the shucking process over with, and start a new set of hair that is not all dead and sun bleached.  I will use my flatheads and only shear with the hair.  Not going to a slick steer show this week.  (lol)

leanbeef

Ah...there ya go! I'm not a hair guy or a club calf guy, so I wouldn't have thought of that, but that makes sense for those kind of calves.

Rhj

Traders also don't like the clip job a lot of calves get, and sometimes can't be straightened out