clipping & fitting question

Help Support Steer Planet:

Heavy Weight

I need tips for fitting and clipping calves with thick, course, untrained hair. I've only ever worked on good haired cattle, but I'm trying to help some friends out this week. How do you get body hair to pop or stand when its only been worked a few times? I know there isn't a substitute for hard work and a brush, but any help would be great.

BadgerFan

Heavy Weight said:
I need tips for fitting and clipping calves with thick, course, untrained hair. I've only ever worked on good haired cattle, but I'm trying to help some friends out this week. How do you get body hair to pop or stand when its only been worked a few times? I know there isn't a substitute for hard work and a brush, but any help would be great.

If they're hard haired and you're there for a week, you're not going to make too much progress.  Just do the best you can.

Pipeliner

I agree with badgerfan, but try putting some straight up regular hair gel like dippity do or another brand and mix it with warm water in a regular squirt bottle. We've been doing it for years and it helps. But you have to make sure it's mixed up good and you have to put on less then you think. Don't over do it.