Clipping Steers Neck

Help Support Steer Planet:

mainecattlemother

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for clipping out a steers neck?  My daughter just clipped out our simmental steer but she always gets the neck so choppy.  Should we be taking the hair all the way down and what type of blade should we use on the neck.  A little info for you the steer has a lot of hair as he is 1/2 club and is a Hired Man x Triple C Beautiful Babe.  Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

rackranch

They make blades for clipping hogs that cut at 1/2 inch.  Might be a good place to start until she gets more expeirence.  I usually clip tight along the dulap and then blend into the neck and top line.  If your steer is pretty fronted then you can leave the hair longer, but if your steer is a little shorter necked or not as pretty fronted then you can clip him tighter to give him a little cleaner look.  The neck, just like the rest of the steer, is clipped to take out your animals faults as best you can.  G-Luck

Pklaus

Andis has a blade out that is set to cut at 5/8 it appears almost lobed and works very well on courser haired neck lines and such. It simple to use and does a nice job of blending the shoulders into ur front end.

obie105

I just had a professional this morning take a flatheads and shave it down and then blend the shoulder. It looked very nice when he was done.