club bull for angus cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

What clubby bull do you think works best or bigger framed, very correct angus cows? Have some walks alone and copyright semen will either of those work well? What bulls you suggest?

johnmetzger

As long as your cows are large framed, I know Walks Alone will make them stout with power.

gary89

I wouldn't use Copyright because the calves would be unregisterable and would basically be PB Angus. I know some people have liked the Alias x Angus cross or Heatwave. I would also consider Bojo, it sounds like he will downsize cows.

Another consideration if you are interested in raising maternal oriented heifers would be Simmental- Fat Butt, Grandmaster, or Built Right. On the Maine side it sounds like the Cerveza females are kicking out some great calves. I have used HW sons on my Angus cows and could never get a steer with enough power and hair for the steer market so have went completely to Simmental bulls with the goal of raising females that would fit into the club calf sector for replacement females. Good luck !!

Warrior10

Thanks for input gary, really wish I had more bojo semen to usw on these but all of his I have is going to our clubby cows. Never thought of alias. Would prefer black calves though

aandtcattle

beware of Walks Alone.  I saw a WA calf the other day out of a common angus appearing cow that was hell for stout with tons of bone but he was so crippled, he won't be able to walk after he hits 900, totally buckled on the front end and incredibly bowed on the backend.  Just sayin, use with caution.

aandtcattle

The cow was fine for structure, she was like 10 years old, plenty of set and clean jointed.  Looked like the other 30,000 commercial angus cows around here.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I got one WA calf last fall and there wasn't anything wrong with him until he got something and died .. He was out of WYO -WIND  cow of moderate frame and good structure ...    dON'T YOU kinda take that chance if you want that stoutness to be competitive , did somebody once say on here that  WMW THey used on heifers , I have had very little experience with WMW ,what kind of cow works best with him........

If there big framed Angus cows  TROUBADOR could sure work or we have sme Carnac calves that are pretty stout out of Angus cows ....

MOClubbyGuy

What about Master of Puppets on a few of them. He is a full bro to Monopoly, All Aboard, Park Place, and Headliner. Good line of genetics!

kfacres

aandtcattle said:
beware of Walks Alone.  I saw a WA calf the other day out of a common angus appearing cow that was hell for stout with tons of bone but he was so crippled, he won't be able to walk after he hits 900, totally buckled on the front end and incredibly bowed on the backend.  Just sayin, use with caution.
'

Isn't that 99% of all clubby bulls? 

AFSC

If they are pure AN I would breed them maternal, PB AN if registered, or use them as recips.  Its too hard to raise a steer stout enough out of a PB AN.  So i deffinatly would not use MOP or Monopoly unless your wanting 3/4AN chi heifers and I've seen some nice heifers with this mating.  I'm sure some will disagrees with me, but I've not seen a 3/4AN steer that I thought was stout enough to compete in the crossbred dev.  If you're going to use them hoping for steers then Walks Alone is going to work as good as any. Eye Candy will stouten them up and downsize them too, maybe add more hair, but I'd still use them maternal or as recips if they were mine.

stkrdge

AFSC said:
If they are pure AN I would breed them maternal, PB AN if registered, or use them as recips.  Its too hard to raise a steer stout enough out of a PB AN.  So i deffinatly would not use MOP or Monopoly unless your wanting 3/4AN chi heifers and I've seen some nice heifers with this mating.  I'm sure some will disagrees with me, but I've not seen a 3/4AN steer that I thought was stout enough to compete in the crossbred dev.  If you're going to use them hoping for steers then Walks Alone is going to work as good as any. Eye Candy will stouten them up and downsize them too, maybe add more hair, but I'd still use them maternal or as recips if they were mine.
[/quote  Ya the galloway will really stouten them up more than an angus. please are you kidding me?]

hamburgman

MOP on angus gives you 75% angus, not the ideal winner in a lot of shows.  However in full disclosure i will pry use a Monopoly clone on some herf x angus cows.  So I am literally calling myself stupid everyday until i AI the cows, but I think in our herd they are the best ones for him to be used on, the others are THC.

AFSC

didn't mean to offend the owner of the donor dam of some of these bulls.  i was just telling someone my opinion, and yes "I" think eye candy would work better than monopoly/MOP on high percent AN. You're right, probably not any stouter but in my mind more bone and hair. nothing against the many flush mates and full sibs to monopoly, i use them too, but would not in this situation if they were mine.

muddy creek: it might influence my opinion some but unless they are really good, i'd still breed them maternal to make clubby mommas or as recips. "my opinion if in my operation"