Club Calf Price Negotiations

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEER_1981

If you deal within one of the big guns--such as Guyer or Caldwell--how much room is there for negotiation?  For example, if they quote a price of $15,000, how much does that really mean (i.e., $10,000)?  Or, is the price the price?  further, is there room to negotiate for clip jobs and the like?  Thanks.

herefordfootball

Zach said:
I would say 0% negotiation. They have customers who will pay the full price.

Thats true. But I think a lot of guys if you make an offer thats close to what they are asking they'll take it or split the difference.(meet you halfway). All you can do is make an offer, it never hurts.

afhm

Trying to jew on the price of a calf is ok just don't low ball them, but do so on clipping, hoof trimming etc you will most likely be told to find someone else to do it.

Show Heifer

There is ALWAYS room for negotiations.
Just like "PM me for price" means  "price depends on who you are"....

Prove you are a good home that will work hard and do the calf justice and you will be surprised how much "wiggle room" there is in the price!

savaged

How much room depends on interest and the type of calf.  But, you can bet the farm they are not starting those calves at their lowest taking price.  They also know that there are a percentage of people that will simply pay it.

iowabeef

afhm said:
Trying to jew on the price of a calf is ok just don't low ball them, but do so on clipping, hoof trimming etc you will most likely be told to find someone else to do it.
Please rephrase how you wrote this.  The way you use the word "jew" is offensive and should not be used in this manner on a public forum.  Thank you.

horseshoe b

people need to understand that a fast 50 cents is better than a slow $,  when  a guy pulls into my place with a trailer and a check book  we are gonna do business, i may not get exactly what i wanted but the calf is gone and off my feed bill , and the money is in the bank ,  DON'T EVER PASS UP A SALE . one of my pet peeves is dealing with these undecisive tire kickers, they just waste my time. in this business  take what you can get

farmboy

iowabeef said:
afhm said:
Please rephrase how you wrote this.   The way you use the word "jew" is offensive and should not be used in this manner on a public forum.  Thank you.

What are jew talking about?

chiangus

horseshoe b said:
people need to understand that a fast 50 cents is better than a slow $,  when  a guy pulls into my place with a trailer and a check book  we are gonna do business, i may not get exactly what i wanted but the calf is gone and off my feed bill , and the money is in the bank ,  DON'T EVER PASS UP A SALE . one of my pet peeves is dealing with these undecisive tire kickers, they just waste my time. in this business  take what you can get

cash money, you ought to run a pawn store.  (lol)

chiangus

Zach said:
iowabeef said:
afhm said:
Please rephrase how you wrote this.   The way you use the word "jew" is offensive and should not be used in this manner on a public forum.  Thank you.

What are jew talking about?

I am talking about jew.

farmin female

Zach said:
I thought so, Anne Frankly I don't care

OK, it's nice to chuckle on a boring Wed. afternoon at work.  But Zach, you are a bad, bad boy!  Funny, but bad.

As for the price of calves, unless you are at a live auction, I think most prices are negotiable.  Low ball offers are out unless you don't mind insulting someone. 

Telos

Zach. I think Bad, Bad Boy would have been a good name for a bull. By the way... I just happen to be Jewish. Not really.  (lol)

Just to let you know... I voted for Bodacious.

showsteerdlux

iowabeef said:
afhm said:

Look up the meaning of this word as an adjective, then come back and say something. Point is you can't.

iowabeef

Point is I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Here is a direct quote from www.dictionary.reference.com 

"–adjective
4. Offensive . of Jews; Jewish.
–verb (used with object)
5. ( lowercase ) Offensive . to bargain sharply with; beat down in price (often fol. by down )."

As you can see, it is used as an adjective and it is used as verb and both times it is listed as OFENSIVE as I stated.  Bigots give cattle producers a bad name.

Point is get into the 21st century and find a less offensive way to express yourself.

ROMAX

iowabeef said:
Point is I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Here is a direct quote from www.dictionary.reference.com 

"–adjective
4. Offensive . of Jews; Jewish.
–verb (used with object)
5. ( lowercase ) Offensive . to bargain sharply with; beat down in price (often fol. by down )."

As you can see, it is used as an adjective and it is used as verb and both times it is listed as OFENSIVE as I stated.  Bigots give cattle producers a bad name.

Point is get into the 21st century and find a less offensive way to express yourself.
I hate when people take over a topic and turn it into something else,get of your high horse and just enjoy this forum!!!!

Torch

When we go to "look" at cattle we have what we have.  If it will buy what we like then all are happy. We have left a few "good one" in the pasture at some places. Then to have them call a month or so latter saying they will deal on the one we liked. But the chance to sell us something was when we were there.

I have seen better cattle at lesser known breeders for lot less than at some of the better known ones. But what got me away from the big names was finding out that they "place" some of their best animals with a select few, which they are free to do so. But I am free to spend my money where ever I want to and I sure won't pay a premium to get less than top quality at some big named breeder.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.