Club Calf Trailer

Help Support Steer Planet:

BAC

I am looking into getting a club calf trailer, either a 16 or 20 foot since we only haul 2-3 calves.  I see that CM makes a club calf trailer and was looking for opinions on this trailer, it is quite a bit more economical than Elite and I was wondering how do they compare.  Also what would be some must have options?

rackranch

I would go with 20' minimum.  I know 3 head doesn't sound like much but you still need a place for your display, fans, show box, feed, hay, ect.  I have a 24' and it works out perfect for hauling all my STUFF!!! I think CM is a good trailer, I see a lot of them in South Texas.  G-luck

DLD

We just got a new CM 6'8" x 20' x 6'6" - we looked at 'em all, and the CM was just the best value.  Haven't had it long, but we really like it so far.  Ours is just the standard trailer with tie rails, extra lights, roof vents and a couple of cosmetic options added (we didn't get plexiglass yet, but the tracks are there if we ever decide to).  We have a one ton, and will prob'ly pull it with that most of the time, but I wanted one that we could pull with our half ton if we needed to.  The dealer was good enough to let us hook on to it and pull it a few miles to see how we liked it.  We also tried an 8' x 16' x 6' tall with the bullet nose, which is 6" longer than the standard nose, but it actually pulled harder - I think maybe it would be better with a bigger truck because the half ton is a crew cab with the 5 1/2' bed, so there was a whole lot of open space between the back of the truck and the front of the trailer to catch air.  I believe it might pull a lot better with my long bed dually.

vc

We went for 8 years with a 16' Featherlite Gooseneck, trailer 2-3 calves in front, the feed in the nose, tack box, wagon, panels, chute, fans and generator in the rear. We loaded the chute on its side, panels against the wall, tack box next to the chute, the wagon (wheel barrow) and the generator in front of slider. We put those there so we could make an easy exit for the calves in a hurry if needed.

The 4 more feet would have made it a little easier, but I will say I have loaned out the 16' to several people with a 24' when they just wanted to move some calves, or travel a few states over to pick up one or two calves, you do not even know it is there going down the freeway. I like it for our area because of the tight curves in the roads in our area, open flat roads the bigger trailer is fine.

I do know that there is  more room in the rear of the gooseneck than the bumper pull, chute would not fit in the rear of the bumper pull.

obie105

Granted we also have horses so a tack room is a necessity to go places but it is the best thing my trailer has. I leave my showbox in there. The nose is still available for feed and supplies. Its inclosed and has a lock on it. The only thing I wish our trailer had is a moving dividing door. Even when we get a new trailer someday I will keep my tackroom. We have been looking at Wilsons. The hubby is partial since that is what he pulls all week. Wilson has come out with alot of options lately. I like the idea of plugs too. We currently have plexiglass but there are times that it can get to warm in our trailer even on cold days. To pull plexiglass its a pain but with plugs you could just knock some out.

DSC

You will definitely want a 20'. I bought a 20' with a 4' tack room so there's really only 16' for stock. I have found you have to be very strategic when loading for a show. The tack room is nice to put feed and etc but I should have bought one without the tack room for the extra 4'. The next one will be. Mine also has the plexi glass and its nice in the winter but in the summer, spring, and fall it gets to warm so we have to remove them. Looks sharp with them in tho.